Principal Software Engineer - League of Legends, Devices
Riot software engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas, but they also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. Our engineers are player-focused, and aim to find solutions that make players excited to experience our games. Principal Engineers, at Riot, are often called on to help with the hardest problems on a project by using their expertise to find creative solutions and being hands-on writing code.
As a Principal Software Engineer (Tech Lead) on the Devices Team you will report to the team’s Engineering Manager and leverage your expertise in game engine architecture to champion League Engine’s multi-platform tech vision. You will collaborate closely with other disciplines, including quality assurance, creative, and production, in building solutions to the evolving technical challenges that face multi-platform game development. You will support internal developers as customers, unlocking their ability to develop reliable and performant multi-platform games, by creating tools, abstraction layers, and clear documentation.
- Set, lead, and contribute to technical vision and direction, using your expertise to guide tough technical decisions
- Build expertise of League Engine codebase
- Work with globally distributed teams to improve League Engine performance optimization, tooling, and measurement efforts across multiple platforms
- Mentor and coach to lift the expertise of the engineering team
- Promote adherence to engineering excellence including: code maintainability, quality, monitoring, operational excellence, and documentation
- 10+ years of experience in software engineering, with practical knowledge in multi-platform game engines and systems development
- Experience as a tech lead for a project or team
- Deep understanding of optimization strategies that emphasize meaningful improvements to performance in critical systems
- Expertise in C++ and low-level debugging
- Expertise in hardware architecture with an understanding of fundamental difference between device architectures
- Experience in software device abstraction and interop
- Experience with mobile, console, and PC operating systems and platform SDKs
- Development experience in rendering software
- Experience shipping a cross-platform game
- Experience working with globally dispersed engineering teams
- Experience with disassembly debugging
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).