Principal Technical Artist: Houdini/Terrain Pipeline Specialist
At Rockstar Games, we create world-class entertainment experiences.
A career at Rockstar Games is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding and ambitious projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a dedicated and inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar Games is looking for a seasoned Principal Technical Artist who is passionate about staying current with latest technologies and driving pipelines forward. This role will be focused on Environment/Terrain Houdini pipelines, and not on the creation of artwork. This is a full-time permanent position based in the heart of Edinburgh.
WHAT WE DO
- Bring innovation and resolution to technical problems and challenges throughout Environment Art - from content creation through to the game (across multiple platforms).
- Create and maintain tools and pipelines that improve our Art workflows.
- Provide focused support for an ever-growing Art team and document/share solutions/knowledge with wider team.
- Proactively use knowledge and experience to identify and solve problems before they affect the Environment Art team and our projects.
- Work closely with fellow Technical Artists as part of a global team working on interconnected tools and systems.
- Collaborate and communicate with other departments (aside from the Art department) such as Tools and Runtime (Engine) teams.
- This is a skilled Principal Environment Technical Artist role relating to Environments with a specific focus on Terrain art support.
- Work with Runtime and Art teams to push engine features which improve our Art processes within the constraints of the platforms we are targeting.
- Create tools within Houdini to drive our terrain creation pipeline.
- Create, maintain and optimise advanced HDAs to help with procedural creation of artwork.
- 5+ years professional experience in games or Film/VFX.
- A relevant degree or professional experience in the game industry as a Technical Artist or similar/related position from industries such as Film/VFX.
- In the absence of the above; videos or an online portfolio with relevant examples of your work will be required so we can assess your skill set.
- Advanced knowledge of using Houdini within a procedural art pipeline.
- Strong coding/scripting skills with OOP knowledge and debugging.
- Keen diagnostic skills to analyse problems and identify solutions.
- Strong communication, self-management, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work within a schedule and deliver effectively to deadlines.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Experience in proceduralism with DCC/packages/engines other than Houdini. E.g. Blender, Substance, Unreal, Unity ete.
- Experience with the use of Houdini Engine.
- Experience with Automation/Scheduling solutions such as HQueue, Tractor, Deadline, Jenkins, Airflow etc.
- Experience creating scripts/tools for 3DS Max, Maya, Blender or Substance.
- Experience with C# and .NET Core/Framework.
- Professional experience as an Artist in games (although this is not an Artist role).
- Experience working and developing in a multi-platform, multi-project environment.
- Experience working in a large team spread across multiple locations and time zones.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a CV and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, race, or any other protected category.