Principal Technical Artist - Optimization - XDefiant
WHAT YOU'LL DO
Create performance benchmark tests, analyze the resulting data, and provide actionable tasks to optimize content while maintaining visual quality.
Work closely with rendering engineers and quality assurance to monitor and debug performance-related bottlenecks and overages.
Identify potential automation opportunities in our performance analysis pipeline.
Plan, enact, and enforce the best practices for authoring optimized content given specific hardware targets.
Provide disciplined performance budgets and content goalposts for our target hardware, software.
Write technical documentation clearly and precisely for different audiences.
Maintain a clear & precise communication chain between all stakeholders (Artists and Programmers).
Drive the standardization of tools, workflows, project templates, and best practices in the realm of real-time optimization.
Assess, alter, and integrate assets (i.e., mesh, texture), optimizing memory footprints and/or decreasing performance cost.
Work closely with various art departments, guiding them through creating art assets optimized to our game engine.
Work with engine team to manage and improve our performance/optimization feature set.
Provide and maintain tools to empower artist-guided real-time performance monitoring, best practices, and transparency.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- 10 to 15 years' experience in video game production or equivilent
- Strong knowledge in Maya, 3DS Max or similar 3D program.
- Experience creating performant game assets inside of a game engine.
- Ability to grasp new programs and systems quickly.
- Self-motivation and excellent problem-solving skills.
- Effective communication and time management skills.
- Ability to work with multiple development disciplines effectively.
- Ability to work with both Artists and Programmers to achieve standards set by Directors.
- Ability to debug non-performant game scenarios and art content in engine.
- Strong grasp of real-time rendering engines like Unreal Engine or Unity, their provided profiling tools, and their optimal configurations related to the performance needs of the target hardware, software, and distribution.
- Working knowledge of real-time rendering pipelines and ability to troubleshoot and diagnose performance bottlenecks.
- Strong grasp of real-time content creation pipelines and the impact of well-authored assets on runtime performance.
- Working knowledge of content optimization techniques, strategies, and engine configurations.
- A passion for creating efficient and stable workflows that allow artists to focus on content creation.
- Ability to read/write HLSL/GLSL/Node Based Shader Graphs.
- Ability to profile Shaders, Materials and generic Art Assets.
- Experience using a profiler to pinpoint and optimize problems in game assets.
- Ability to explain the passes in a rendered frame.
- Understanding of how a pixel is being rendered on screen.
- Knowledge in at least 1 programming or scripting language (C#, Python, C/C++) .
- Experience developing and shipping a professional game project start to finish .
NICE TO HAVE
- Knowledge of software development tools, such as Visual Studio .
- Console development experience on any platform of Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo (handheld consoles) .
- Good knowledge of tool development, either using Python, C#, C++, or visual scripting tools like Unreal Engine Blueprints.
- Experience using Houdini or other Procedural content pipelines.
Ubisoft Winnipeg is a technology studio with a unique mission: develop new technologies that will change the way we build video game worlds. We are the only Ubisoft studio focused on exploring the unknown to develop technology that empowers game creators at studios around the world to build even better, more immersive worlds across our major brands.
We are a part of Ubisoft’s 20,000 team members, working across more than 40 locations around the world, and are bound by a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. The team’s dedication and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come.
Who We Are
Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves.
To get there, we are creating a safer, more inclusive work environment, giving back to the communities where Ubisoft operates by working with local non-profit partners, and by working to reduce the environmental impact of our business. Read more about our commitment to social impact here.
Please read our Code of Conduct prior to applying. It is our collective responsibility at Ubisoft Winnipeg to maintain a respectful and inclusive work environment and be the best possible place to work and grow. Knowing and respecting our Code of Conduct’s principles and guidelines is key to achieving that goal.
Ubisoft Winnipeg encourages applications from First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, neurodivergent people, women, 2SLGBTQIA+ people, and people who live at the intersections of those identities and experiences. Ubisoft Winnipeg is committed to providing accommodations for accessibility upon request. A real live person will review your application (in this case, Sheena!) While we’re doing that, get to know a bit more about our studio and our team.
This role is based in our Winnipeg studio, with the opportunity for hybrid work within Manitoba.