Discord is looking for a product counsel to join our growing legal department. This is a high-impact role at one of the most interesting companies on the planet!
As Product Counsel, you will help shape our approach to privacy and product compliance, advising the business as we launch new features and expand our user base across the world. Reporting to our Director, Product & Privacy Law, you'll join a small but growing Legal team, and you will have a significant impact on how Legal and the company grow.
If this sounds like a fun challenge, please read on...
What you'll be doing
- Partner with engineering and product teams to identify the risks and rewards associated with new features and strategies
- Provide pragmatic, actionable advice to minimize legal risks while advancing business goals and objectives
- Collaborate and drive cross-functional projects to resolution with a wide range of stakeholders, including product managers, engineers, designers, Policy, and Trust & Safety
- Act as one of the company’s experts on issues related to privacy, e-commerce, payments, platform liability, and more
- Develop larger legal frameworks that help Discord mitigate risk and achieve its Big GoalsTM
What you should have
- JD from an accredited law school
- Admission to the California Bar or eligible to register as in-house counsel with the California Bar
- 4+ years experience at a well-respected law firm or in-house legal department
- Ability to internalize the business's priorities, think creatively, exercise judgment, and translate legal requirements into actionable (and flexible) advice
- Experience advising on issues that impact technology companies, such as privacy, platform liability, payments, accessibility, telecommunications laws, and content moderation laws
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and manage projects effectively
- Commitment to diversity, inclusion, and belonging
- In-house legal department experience with a consumer-oriented company
- Strong experiences with global privacy laws and other foreign legal systems
- Into memes, dad jokes, and other fun shenanigans
New York City residents only: Minimum salary of $179,000/year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law.
Colorado residents only: Minimum salary of $161,100/year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20).
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!