Rendering Software Engineer - Metalhead
The team at Metalhead comes from diverse backgrounds, unified by a passion to make original games. We've supported and inspired each other through the development and evolution of the Super Mega Baseball series and have built a fiercely loyal fanbase in the process. And we get to do it all from downtown Victoria. We're growing the studio and hope you'll consider joining us.
Are you an experienced, pragmatic cranker of codes that has worked on and shipped high performance code? Perhaps our open role of Rendering Software Engineer appeals to you! You will report to our Lead Rendering Software Engineer and assist the rendering team at Metalhead to add features and improve our customized rendering engine. You will work closely with engineers and artists to fulfill the artistic vision at a rock solid 60hz. If visual fidelity and challenging performance issues are your jam, we would love to hear from you.
What you'll do:
- Help deliver rendering features across Windows, PlayStation, Xbox and Nintendo devices.
- Implement real time and offline rendering code in C++.
- Develop and maintain shaders.
- Work with the Art Director and art team to realize their vision at 60hz.
- Collaborate with the tools team to communicate requirements and capabilities of the rendering technology.
- Integrate 3rd party rendering technology.
Qualities we're looking for:
- 4+ years of professional C++ experience.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Solid math skills, emphasis on linear algebra.
- Experience shipping game titles in an engineering role.
- Pragmatic approach to problem solving.
- Experience with D3D12.
- Experience working with multi-threaded systems.
- Ability to find, comprehend and evaluate rendering research & papers.
- Advanced debugging and optimization skills.
- Familiarity with a Visual Studio / Windows development environment.
- An eye for finding simple solutions to complex problems.
Bonus points for…
- Familiarity with PlayStation/Xbox/Nintendo development.
- A degree in Computer Science, Math, Physics or similar.
Regardless of your specialization, a few things we're always looking for:
- Passion. You love programming and are always looking to learn more and hone your craft. Your shower thoughts are often software related.
- A sense of humility and ability to thrive in a team environment. You look for help when you're stuck and you want to help your teammates when they need it.
- A knack for managing your time. You know when to go deeper on a task versus recognizing that it's time to get 'er done and move on to the next thing. Quality is important, but so is speed!
- A willingness to branch into areas outside your core expertise. It's just a fact of life in a small studio as we adapt to the changing demands at each stage of a project.
- Drive to execute. Projects you've worked on in the past (personal or professional) got finished, and got finished properly… and it had a lot to do with you.