Scriptwriter (Assassin’s Creed: RED)
Are you in love with Japan and everything Japanese? As a Scriptwriter at Ubi MTL, you'll be a part of a collaborative team focused on creating a rich experience for players in an open world set in historical Japan.
You will write and integrate narrative elements that make up a living, breathing, reactive world. You will craft content that gives purpose and emotion to the people, places, and things within that world.
What you’ll do:
- Partner with the team to understand the overall game vision;
- Brainstorm and research ideas + discuss your findings with collaborative teams;
- Pitch your ideas, write proposals, outlines, and complete scripts to support story, quests, and gameplay elements;
- Master Oasis, Ubisoft’s proprietary writing tool and keep your story elements error-free;
- Create and maintain narrative documentation (character bios, location descriptions, item descriptions, etc.) to guide cross-functional teams throughout production. In certain cases, follow up on your content post-launch and rework it based on player feedback (improve, add, or remove narrative elements);
- Be open to feedback and willing to write, rewrite, proofread, polish, and repeat in the dynamic environment that game development requires;
- Be able to critically, constructively, and succinctly provide feedback to other team members in support of their script writing;
- Be able to act as a game narrative expert supporting other disciplines in art, audio, and design.
What you bring:
- A love of, and insights into, Japan and Japanese history and culture;
- A degree in Creative Writing, Literature, Film, or equivalent;
- At least 3 years of writing experience or related experience;
- Understanding of game design fundamentals and all stages of development;
- A highly creative, collaborative, and innovative spirit;
- Curiosity, flexibility, and plenty of resourcefulness;
- Excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills;
- Ability to adapt to feedback and to improvise.
What to send our way:
Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills;
A variety of samples of your best work (attach files or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio). These samples should total no more than 10 written pages. The samples should demonstrate your ability to tell a story, your knowledge of scene structure, dialogue, and characterization and how those elements apply to games. A demonstration of how you create dramatic branching choices a plus.
At Ubisoft Montreal, a preeminent developer of video games located in Montreal’s dynamic Mile-End neighbourhood since 1997, we offer a work environment unique in the industry for allowing you to build and cultivate games that are part of critically acclaimed, iconic AAA franchises of international repute.
When you join Ubi Montreal, you enter a community of passionate, extraordinary developers connected by their need to innovate, to be creative and to work with the latest technology. You’ll discover a world where employees enjoy constant career advancement, a supportive learning environment, and competitive compensation packages.
More than anything, at Ubi Montreal, you will regularly ship a variety of big, quality titles – Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Watch_Dogs, For Honor and… well we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet… – and work with some of the most talented people in the industry.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.