Senior Back-End Programmer – Live Services
This is a truly unique opportunity for a Senior Back-end Programmer to join a hugely talented team, to work in an innovative, professional, and dynamic environment. This role will be based at our studio in Horsham, West Sussex.
As a Senior Back-end Programmer on the project, you will be working in a close-knit and flexible team, developing, and implementing software to high standard. You will be asked to contribute ideas to help shape the future of our server solutions.
The successful candidate for this role will be an excellent communicator and implementer, dealing with projects from inception to delivery (including overseeing live operations).
A passion for professional development, life-long learning, and a commitment to teamwork is key for this position.
As a Senior Back-end Programmer on the team, you will play a key role in developing our online platform and games infrastructure. This will include design, architecture, implementation, and testing.
On a day-to-day basis, you will:
- Work with the wider Total War and Console development teams, particularly with the brand, game, and web teams.
- Be proactive and provide implementation solutions for design-led requirements to the relevant members of the team. Work collaboratively with key developers working towards effective solutions for critical parts of the online games service infrastructure.
- Strong programming and system design skills
- Experience of working on server-side, API-driven projects with online databases
- Previous experience with a cloud service (such as Amazon's AWS) or virtualized environment
- Excellent communication skills; both written and verbal
- Experience of working in both Windows and Linux environments
- Proactive and enthusiastic approach to work
- Methodical approach to software development
- High level of interest in learning in general, but particularly in learning new technologies and programming languages for software development
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Mentoring experience
- Python development experience
- Experience of working with systems at scale
- Understanding and working knowledge of front-end web and mobile technologies (html5, Electron, ionic etc)
- Experience working with open authentication standards, Big Data
- Development experience and passion for online video games
- The ability to work not just as part of a team, but highly independently too
About Creative Assembly
It’s an exciting time to be a part of our craft-led studio as we push boundaries, creating deep and detailed experiences that last.
Our teams are diverse from across the world, from trainees to industry veterans who constantly challenge us and make sure we are striving for the best within our games and our studio life. We are united through our shared values of Quality, Focus, Teamwork, Respect and Trust and we win awards for our culture and our people-centric approach, having won a Best Place to Work Award for five consecutive years. We invest in our people, the studio, and our projects. We are a company that’s secure and safe – you don’t need to worry about job security at CA.
Flexible working at Creative Assembly includes hybrid, fully remote for eligible roles, and in-studio. We recognise that there is no one-size-fits-all approach and empower our teams to define the working patterns which work best for them, which may mean different things for different teams and roles and at different times.
We’ll give you the creative freedom, tools, support, and development to achieve your potential.
Our studios are based in Horsham, UK and Sofia, Bulgaria, including several bespoke state-of-the-art audio suites and a dedicated motion capture facility.
We offer many benefits to support you and your family including:
- Flexible working: hybrid, fully remote and in-studio working
- Work from Anywhere for a temporary period each year (restrictions apply such as VISAs)
- Enhanced holiday allowance, maternity and paternity breaks, flexibility with our core hours, and no-notice holidays
- Bespoke relocation package for you and your dependents, with support throughout the process from our dedicated Relocation Specialists
- Private medical and dental insurance, life insurance, permanent health insurance, critical illness cover and free health care screening
- Generous holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, and all UK Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Join our award-winning education and social responsibility programme; the Legacy Project, as an industry ambassador to mentor and educate others
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support including SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops, on-site training with renowned specialists and global conference attendance
- Opportunity to join our Diversity and Inclusion Network – an employee-led group
- Season ticket travel loans and cycle to work scheme with free bike servicing and discounted car valet service on site
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast in the studio every day - toast, bagels, pancakes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, smoothies, juices, milkshakes and more in our fully stocked kitchen
- Wellbeing support with an employee assistance programme and onsite confidential sessions
- In-studio heavily subsidised massage therapy
- Discounts for home technology, travel insurance, corporate gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, trips out and Ikea vouchers, and many local businesses including estate agents
- Studio parties for you and your family; such as our Summer Festival, Christmas Party plus a separate Children’s Christmas Party. We also have Cinema days and wrap parties for game releases
- Studio community activities such as life drawing, creative writing, Pilates, Walking Challenges, Couch to 5k, basketball, game and movie evenings, board game club, 5-a-side football, CA Choir, Sword fighting (yes, sword fighting) and loads more.