Senior Concept Artist
Who We Are:
MAKE LIFE EPIC
Founded in 1996, Firaxis Games is a world-renowned game development studio with an unwavering mission to “build games that stand the test of time”. The name Firaxis, a fusion of “fiery” and “axis,” communicates the company’s dynamic development process that results in the creation of ground breaking titles with unparalleled gameplay delivered to gamers around the world. Under the creative direction of industry legend Sid Meier, Firaxis has released dozens of hit games on multiple platforms and is recognized as an industry leader in game development.
Let gameplay drive decision making
Deliver great work for the studio, the team & yourself
Maintain an environment where people are happy
Find opportunities to contribute and collaborate
Put effort where it pays off the most
We are looking for an exceptionally skilled and experienced Senior Concept Artist to work with one of our AAA project teams. As a Senior Concept Artist, you will work closely with the Project Art Director and Lead Concept Artist to establish the visual look and feel of the project. The ideal candidate must have the ability to imagine, visualize, and render both their own ideas and those of their coworkers and be highly self-motivated and capable of self-direction when needed.
- Assist Art Director and team with establishing the visual style for production art
- Work with the Art Director to maintain consistent artistic style.
- Create 2D callouts and other production designs for assets.
- Actively participate in artistic and technical problem solving.
- Take responsibility for developing large sections, systems, or entire categories of content as directed by the Art Director or Lead Concept Artist and handle interactions with other departments related to these responsibilities.
- Identify inefficiencies in the concept-to-production process and formulate resolutions independently.
- Produce a wide range of highly creative character, creature, hard surfaced and environment concept art and shift between subjects with minimal adjustment time.
- Produce art beyond concept as needed to help finish or promote the project (marketing renders, process illustrations, user interface art, in game signage and deco, etc).
- Implement assets in engine as needed.
- Contribute to multiple projects (entirely different games) and shift quickly and easily between them on demand with minimal adjustment time to adopt defined stylistic differences.
- Mentor and guide junior artists and interns assisting in the assignment of tasks and working in a co-development capacity as directed by the Lead Concept Artist.
- Communicate clearly with designers, artists, and programmers.
- Produce assets on schedule, meeting or exceeding team quality metrics.
- Minimum 5 years of game industry experience.
- Excellent rendering and design skills with a demonstrated ability to adapt to established styles.
- Understanding of fundamental illustration skills including composition, perspective, anatomy, draftsmanship, and color theory.
- Digital illustration skills with an advanced understanding of Photoshop, Painter, Clip Studio, etc.
- Strong grasp of design principles such as shape design, contrast, form, composition, and distribution and purpose of detail.
- Self-managing — organized with good time management. Must be able to identify and meet goals.
- Portfolio must demonstrate versatility and strong environment design skills.
- Knowledge of 3D software as it pertains to the concept process is a plus (Zbrush, Max, Maya, Blender, Keyshot, Octane, Vray, etc).
- Self-motivated with a positive attitude and a great team-player.
- Exceptional communications skills, both oral and written.
- A passion for making games.
- Must have current U.S. work authorization.
Named World’s #1 Developer of the Year by Game Informer Magazine in 2012, Firaxis is very proud of its legacy of developing award-winning titles. We have won multiple BAFTAs, D.I.C.E Awards, Game of the Year titles, and category awards (from “Best Strategy Game” to “Best PC Game”) across our products.
Additionally, our company was also featured in SmartCEO’s “Best-Run Book” for company culture and praised for a focus on “family, fun and flexibility.” Firaxis was also named a finalist in SmartCEO’s Healthiest Company Awards for 2016.
Firaxis Games prides itself on maintaining a quality of life inside and outside the studio – when our team members are happy and healthy, creativity can thrive. We offer boot camp fitness and yoga classes at the office, a free gym with shower, regularly catered lunches and breakfasts, biweekly Friday Happy Hours, company events and parties, and a “FunZone” complete with billiards, foosball, video games, and tabletop gaming space. We are also a philanthropic studio and offer employees the chance to volunteer with local charities and nonprofits throughout the year.
Full time employees can also take advantage of Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage, 401K retirement savings, a wellbeing initiative with the opportunity to earn cash rewards, an Employee Assistance Program, and paid time off and paid holidays.
SECURITY NOTICE - We have recently been made aware of increasing occurrences of bad actors posing as company HR personnel to gain information from "potential candidates", in the form of job interviews and offers. These scams can be quite sophisticated and appear legitimate.
Please know that 2K never uses instant messaging apps to contact prospective employees or to conduct interviews.
If you believe you have been a victim of such a scam, you may fill out a complaint form at https://complaint.ic3.gov/ and https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/ detailing as much as possible. We are taking these matters very seriously and apologize for any inconvenience.
Please note that 2K Games and its studios never uses instant messaging apps or personal email accounts to contact prospective employees or conduct interviews and when emailing, only use Firaxis.com or 2K.com accounts.