Senior Game Designer, FFGS
Game Designers on the Fight For the Golden Spatula (FFGS) team work on teams across the organization to find fun, dream up great champions, traits, cosmetics, and progression systems, and then work with engineers, Technical Game Designers, artists, producers, QA pros, and other dev partner and creatives to get them to players. They need to be able to break down tough gameplay problems, empathize with players, and come up with solutions both dreamy and practical.
This role reports to the Director of Product and Partnerships at Riot, and focuses on systems design for features like social, progression, and competitive systems. But: all FFGS game designers work within TFT design frameworks and standards, and contribute to broader TFT design as well.
- Gain an understanding of TFT's and Riot's strategic goals, and work with a diverse team of developers to execute on those goals
- Advocate effectively for players in planning and creative meetings
- Critique others' work with sensitive candor, and be so critiqued in turn
- Solve a wide variety of game design problems in the initiative’s areas of accountability - particularly in progression systems, but also in gameplay-focused areas like making our cosmetics rewards ever more amazing
- Do a lot of playtesting with the design team, and provide useful feedback
- 5+ years of experience as a professional game designer
- Great game design analysis and problem solving skills
- Experience with defining tasks and communicating details about target player experiences
- A strong understanding of technical and creative tradeoffs, and how changes to goals will affect which solutions we should adopt
- Wide understanding of different player preferences and audience segments
- Proficient in both English and Mandarin
- Experience with the auto-battler genre and/or mobile game development
- Deep engagement with TFT's gameplay and systems (note this is not required!)
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).