Senior Game Designer
Job Title: Senior Game Designer
Location: SI HQ, Here East, London
Reporting to: Producer (Design & Features)
Applications with no cover letter will not be considered
Sports Interactive are looking for a talented and driven Senior Game Designer to join the Design team working on the Football Manager series of games. As a Senior Game Designer, you'll be setting an example, helping to lead and collaborating within a multi-skilled creative team to deliver features all the way through development from high level concepts to fully documented, implementable work ready to bring the studio’s vision to life. You will quickly become a reliable and an integral part of a dedicated and hard-working team within SI helping to shape the Design discipline at the studio as well as frequently collaborating beyond Design with software engineers, artists, QA, Comms and producers to ensure we deliver the best possible features for our passionate userbase.
The successful candidate will be dynamic, organised, self-motivated and driven to improve themselves and our games. You will have fantastic communication skills, be able to work independently as well as part of or leading a team, be willing and able to pick up complex, multi-faceted tasks across Design to help drive the products and our team forward as well as committed to the improvement of your own skills and knowledge.
- Create, lead, delegate and iterate on key, high-visibility features and systems that meet the product visions of the Football Manager games
- Articulate design concepts by creating assets such as presentations, diagrams, documents, wireframes etc to clearly and concisely communicate and validate features to the team prior to development
- Collaborate with the design team by leading and contributing to ideation workshops
- Present and support the communication of design proposals to multiple stakeholders within the studio
- Give and receive thoughtful feedback and iterate to evolve and improve designs based on that feedback
- Incorporate insights and review design success from qualitative and quantitative assessment techniques to ensure we’re designing the right things in the right way
- Collaborate with other key teams across the studio, including UIUX, Comms, Production, Programming, Research and Art to ensure designs are implemented and articulated to the highest standard
- Help assess the balance, quality and usability of features via usability testing, focus tests and in-house playtesting
- Help to run the Design Team’s day-to-day work by contributing to Sprint Planning and Dept. management where required
- Significantly contribute to team processes and house style
- Contribute to and lead peer reviews within the discipline
- Mentor Junior and Mid-Level Designers to help their progression within the studio
- Be creatively ambitious, moving our games forward at the same time as driving our quality bar up
- Be a passionate member of the Design Team, driving your own and supporting others’ professional growth.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Outstanding communication skills for excellent collaboration and presentation to people at all levels in the studio
- Self-motivated with a drive to improve yourself, the team, our games and others
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic and collaborative environment
- Excellent attention to detail and high standards of work
- A good knowledge of Football, as a sport and as a global industry would be beneficial
- Deep knowledge and understanding of video game design
- Understanding design methodologies like user-centred design, inclusive design, iterative design, designing for accessibility etc.
- Understanding of software development methodologies like Agile, Waterfall etc.
- Strong knowledge of appropriate tools and creative/development packages such as Figma, Miro, Jira etc.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in Game Design roles
- Some experience with Unity a plus
- Have experienced a full development cycle releasing at least one video game
- Strong project and time management skills.
Sports Interactive (SI) is an ambitious development studio creating immersive sports management simulations. Since 1994, we’ve captivated a global pool of players with our iconic, BAFTA award-winning game, Football Manager. We’re a wholly owned subsidiary of SEGA having caught their attention in 2006 with our continuous critical and commercial success.
We’re a tenacious community, coming together at the Here East technology hub in Stratford, East London. Always expanding, the SI team takes on the gaming genre through a diverse array of disciplines. But no matter how big we dream, we keep our approach (and your schedule) flexible, creating a relaxed atmosphere where collaboration can thrive.
Further information on the company and its games is available at www.sigames.com.
We approach everything with passion, whether that’s making our mark on the gaming and football industries or doing our bit for the world around us. We want to share that outlook with everyone who shows up to work here each day.
We like our talent tenacious, so you can expect to surround yourself with other ambitious individuals bringing their A-game to many different disciplines. We know collaboration is the key to constantly topping our best, and encourage our people to fiercely realise their own personal potential.
We believe everyone matters, no matter which part of the business you’re in. Above all else, we’re a team. A team with a down-to-earth dynamic, that works and plays together. We have fun doing what we do; one of the many reasons we’re one of the best places to work in the UK games business (Gameindustry.biz 2021 Large studio category).
And if you want a work/life balance, we’re behind you. Because while we live to create extraordinary games, we know that’s not all you’ve got going on. You can trust that we always keep things in perspective, fostering an environment where work can be more than just a job.
Our flexible working culture gives team members the responsibility to optimise their workloads, with in-office, hybrid and remote working options dependent on role. Even in countries where we don’t directly employ*, we’ll even explore what’s possible via third parties and do our best to accommodate location preferences. We’re also a London Living Wage employer and proudly boast one of the lowest staff turnover rates in the industry.
*We’re able to directly employ in the UK, Ireland, France, Sweden and Finland.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from any relevant candidate irrespective of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion, or belief. Our studio has disabled access and facilities.
SI is proudly a Disability Confident Committed employer, and we are dedicated to ensuring our recruitment process is inclusive and accessible. Our studio has disabled access and facilities but please ensure you advise us if you require any other reasonable adjustments to be made to support you during the recruitment process.
This job description is an accurate reflection of the duties and responsibilities of the post as at the time of writing but will be changed from time to time as the job is a career development job which will be adjusted according to the progress of the job holder. It does not form part of the contract of employment.