Senior Infrastructure Engineer - Video
Twitch is the world's biggest live streaming service, with global communities built around gaming, entertainment, music, sports, cooking, and more. It is where thousands of communities come together for whatever, every day.
We're about community, inside and out. You'll find coworkers who are eager to team up, collaborate, and smash (or elegantly solve) problems together. We're on a quest to empower live communities, so if this sounds good to you, see what we're up to on LinkedIn and Twitter, and discover the projects we're solving on our Blog. Be sure to explore our Interviewing Guide and Instagram channel to learn how to ace our interview process.
About the Role
Twitch processes a massive amount of live video channels and distributes them using the largest dedicated live video CDN in the world, delivering over 25Tbps to more than 5MM concurrent viewers. In addition to serving Twitch traffic, our video platform is offered as Amazon Interactive Video Service, an AWS service that allows the creation of a live video streaming platform with only a few lines of code.
The Video Infrastructure Performance Engineering team delivers hardware and software purpose-built for video processing at scale, which includes everything from designing components/servers/racks, to planning internal product roadmaps, to developing low-level OS/kernel software, and to partnering with other internal service teams to bring solutions to production.
Working with the Video Infrastructure Performance Engineering team, you will use your hardware, firmware, and software experience to dive deep into a new generation of system designs. We've already built the lowest latency high-scale HLS distribution system on the planet. You will help us bring new infrastructure to our edge and origin data centers world-wide, improving the efficiency of our existing products and paving the way for our next-generation sub-second and real-time products.
As a Senior Software Engineer you will report to the manager of the Video Infrastructure Performance Engineering team.
You can be located in San Francisco, CA; Irvine, CA; Seattle, WA; New York, NY; Salt Lake City, UT; or Vancouver, BC. You can also be remote within British Columbia, Canada or the USA.
- Manage the internal infrastructure roadmap by gathering business/engineering/regulatory requirements, performing TCO analysis, and aligning with leaders from across the organization.
- Collaborate across teams and with external vendors to select the best hardware components from the chip to the rack.
- Deliver design specifications including cabling/wiring diagrams, bill of materials, firmware features, project plans, and statements of work.
- Review, qualify, and approve newly updated hardware components and firmware packages.
- Support data center operations staff to deploy new hardware and sustain the existing fleet of world-wide hardware.
- Build prototype software to demonstrate the highest possible hardware performance and partner with internal service teams to adopt new technologies.
- Hands-on experience with system-level architecture of video applications
- Hands-on experience with the modern Linux distributions and kernel customization.
- Hands-on experience with video protocols like HLS, LL-HLS, WebRTC, and video codecs like H.264/AVC.
- 8+ years of experience designing and deploying hardware solutions from the chip-level to the rack-level in production environments.
- Experience driving the adoption of containerization or virtualization
- Experience optimizing C/C++/Rust/Go applications for performance
- Experience debugging and optimizing low-level networking protocols at the TCP/IP and UDP level
- Experience adopting network packet processing techniques such as kTLS and NIC offload
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Twitch values your privacy. Please consult our Candidate Privacy Notice, for information about how we collect, use, and disclose personal information of our candidates.
Job ID: TW7867
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from our lowest geographic market up to our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.twitch.tv/jobs/en/#learn-more. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.