Senior Product Design Manager, Friends
Discord is looking for a highly creative, hands-on and mission-driven Product Design Manager to lead product designers whose work helps online communities be as successful as possible.
We are looking for an experienced and highly collaborative design manager to join Discords, Friends team. This Product Design Management leader will work closely with cross-functional peers to ensure “hanging out” and talking is seamless and fun for our users across all modes of communication within the Discord platform.
The ideal candidate will thrive on collaboration and take great enjoyment in working to improve people, product and process. You'll help the team put the user first, coaching designers through our process, and focusing the team on the highest impact problems with the best solutions. You will be an essential member of design leadership. Within this product area you will be the primary design owner of our Messaging, Audio & Video surfaces and will prioritize its work around the Play and Link use-cases of Discord .
What you'll be doing
- Support and lead design within a feature-focused product team by collaborating with product managers, researchers, writers, and engineering partners to champion outstanding customer experiences. Together with your cross-functional partners, you’ll set the vision for the user experience and build the space for others to execute.
- Work to elevate our level of craft and customer obsession.
- Apply big-picture thinking to break down open-ended opportunities into meaningful next steps.
- Be an advocate for Discord users as we create great products that improve how friends talk and hang out online regularly.
- Design and test new strategies, frameworks, and prototypes — listening and curating, or leading and defining, as needed.
- Act autonomously and take ownership. You’ll help provide teams with the methods, process and solutions needed to execute strategy. You’ll drive progress through obstacles by building consensus and making decisions - taking ownership for every last detail, every step of the way.
- Plan, lead, implement, and communicate the design process and results.
- Lead and contribute design critiques by sharing work and providing objective feedback to your fellow designers.
- Partner with other design leaders to continuously improve the Design organization and uphold our workplace philosophy.
What you should have
- You have 3+ years of experience as a Design Manager and/or have led at least 2 Product Designers previously within a design team.
- 6+ years experience in multi-platform digital products as a Product Designer (or similar role). Especially fluent with mobile product development and social consumer products, with experience using prototyping tools to demonstrate product concepts.
- A portfolio of work you've designed and shipped as well as examples of work you directed delivered by your team. Examples of how you have previously influenced your product teams, organizations or discipline.
- An enjoyment of people leadership. This includes recruiting, training and developing, organization design, and leading by example.
- You thrive in 0-to-1 environments and get excited about figuring out strategies or processes to address the unknown — both in product and internal team structures.
- A strong eye for craft. You can identify when work can benefit from more time or investment, identifying gaps in visual or interaction design.
- History of strong partnerships with engineering and product management leadership.
- You are a first principles thinker that can work with others to come up with pragmatic solutions.
- Designing yourself does not scare you, and you’re happy to jump in to help if needed. You are still a designer even if you don't do it all the time.
- You keep up with the industry trends and can assess new tools and techniques.
New York City residents only: Minimum salary of $193,000/year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law
Colorado residents only: Minimum salary of $173,700 /year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20)
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!