Senior Product Designer, Platform Ecosystem - Apps & API
Discord asks the world to Imagine a Place. However, our users don't just have to imagine - they get to build that place, too. The Apps team is a crucial piece, a bridge that lets users move from imagining to experiencing that place. Whether you’re an admin looking for help moderating your server or a user looking for new ways to interact with fellow community members, Discord apps and bots can push that experience to the next level.
We are looking for a product designer who is passionate about creating solutions based on insights from real people, and through the mastery of their craft can turn those insights into a well designed product that will inspire 3rd party Discord developers to build for their communities.
If you're interested in joining a fantastic team of designers that are designing features that will be used by millions of people across the world, come help us do just that.
What you'll be doing
- You will form part of our growing and matrixed EPAD Organization that includes Engineering, Product, Analytics and Design function.
- You will directly embed within the Platform Ecosystems Apps & API Team and partner with engineers, product managers and other cross-functional peers to oversee the user experience from idea to market.
- You will dive into research, ideate, and help inspire our mission in creating an app platform that helps developers build experiences that extend Discord function for all user types.
- You will present and communicate your designs to the team and the greater organization to build consensus around your concepts.
- You will create wire-frames, beautiful mockups, amazing prototypes, and help implement your designs to pixel perfection.
- You will test, learn, and iterate on everything you do alongside product peers.
- You will work with our marketing and developer advocacy personnel to promote the ubiquity of key parts of the Apps & API experience across devices and ecosystems.
- You will meaningfully contribute, maintain and commit to our Design System library.
What you should have
- You have 8+ years of experience designing modern consumer-focused products.
- A portfolio of work on which you were the primary designer leading large-scale, high impact projects for both desktop and mobile.
- You have meaningfully worked on, or with a design system.
- You proactively form ideas and present them to your cross-functional team to develop strategy and roadmaps.
- You work with your leadership peers and partners to guide conversations to next steps.
- You are seen as a mentor for other designers and provide feedback and find ways to improve their work.
- You use your years of experience to quickly move projects forward, applying domain expertise, establishing principles, and occasionally conducting research.
- You collaboratively guide the vision for the product and achieve it through design explorations, documentation, and presentations.
- Interface animation know-how.
- Experience working on, or even marketing SAAS style products.
- You’ve actively participated in an open-source community.
- You’ve extensively used or even built Discord bots before.
New York City residents only: Minimum salary of $175,000/year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law
Colorado residents only: Minimum salary of $157,500/year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20).
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!