Senior Software Engineer - Activities Platform
Activities is a new feature that allows groups of friends to play casual games on Discord. The variety of activities is continuously growing, and the ways in which friends can connect and participate continues to evolve. The Activities Platform team supports our developers and game studios by providing all the tools necessary to build these magical experiences for all users of Discord.
Our team is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join this mission, and help us inspire and support the future of activities. Discord asks the world to 'Imagine a Place', and the Activities Platform team provides the way for people to come and build what they've imagined.
What you'll be doing
- Work with the Activities Platform team to maintain the SDK, APIs and platform services for Activities
- Collaborate with design, product and other engineers to introduce new features used by our +175M monthly active users
- Support numerous internal and external game studios building new activities on Discord
- Help design and build new tools for developers, and expand the community of developers using our platform to build new activities
- Participate at all levels of ideation, implementation and release
- Have a genuine say in the details, and have fun doing it!
What you should have
- 5+ years experience with web development (React, TypeScript, HTML5)
- Experience across the full-stack including API design and fundamentals
- Familiarity with mobile development (React Native or Swift/Kotlin)
- Experience working on a multi-platform product supporting desktop app, web and mobile
- Experience working within cross-functional teams
- Proven ability to discuss and explain complex technical subjects in simple, succinct language
- Ability to apply first principles thinking towards pragmatic solutions to complex problems
- Empathy for both internal and external users, and a desire to receive qualitative feedback
- Experience building or maintaining developer-facing products, SDKs, libraries or services
- Experience building HTML5-based games for desktop or mobile
- Strong open-source leadership or contributions
New York City residents only: Minimum salary of $186,000/year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law.
Colorado residents only: Minimum salary of $148,800 /year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20).
- Knowledge of performance metrics such as CPU and memory usage
- Experience making hard tradeoffs between important goals to get the right things built quickly
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!