About this Role
Join the team at Fandom and work with great people (fans! Star Wars, Twin Peaks, RPG games). As a Senior Software Engineer on the Data Platform team, you will be responsible for solving engineering problems of the largest complexity and scale within your team. You will be expected to influence the overall vision and long-term engineering goals for the team aligned with the product vision.
- Take ownership of significant components of distributed systems with limited supervision
- Actively contribute to the tactical planning for your team
- Help to enrich Fandom’s structured data with internal and external data sources
- Extend and maintain scalable systems written in Java, Python, Go, and PHP
- Write (Not only) SQL queries that run production, user-facing systems, or extract data from our data warehouse
- Delivers clean, maintainable, well-structured, well-tested, well-performing and documented code
- Help to integrate experimental data science concepts into production systems operating at scale
- Share knowledge through documentation, pull request comments, and mentoring
- Develop and refactor software with an emphasis on quality, simplicity, and maintainability
- Work effectively with a globally distributed team
- Learn new technologies, patterns, and processes as needed
- Ensure a high level of quality in your deliverables
- Collaborate with your team to solve technical issues
- Deepen your technical knowledge in one or more areas of expertise
- 5+ years of professional experience with web technologies at scale (REST APIs, HTTP)
- Professional experience with database management systems (MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Cassandra)
- Professional backend microservice experience (Java preferred)
- Professional experience with Python
- 5+ years application development experience
- Professional experience owning large parts of a web-scale project from conception to production
- Experience with building automated tests (Jest, JUnit, Mockito, Karma, Jasmine, Mocha, etc.)
- Experience with performance and optimization problems at scale
Bonus Points if You Have...
- Experience working with a global team
- Experience with continuous integration tools (Jenkins, Travis, Github, etc)
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes in production
- Experience with ETL (data extraction, transformation, and loading)
- Familiarity with big data technologies such as Hadoop and Kafka
Benefits & Perks
- Stock options
- Training based on business needs
- Flexible working hours
- Open, energetic and fan-focused, international work environment
- Miscellaneous perks such as wellness programs, swag, etc.
Fandom is a global entertainment media brand powered by fan passion. The fan-trusted source in entertainment, Fandom provides a home to explore, contribute to, and celebrate the world of pop culture. Whether looking for in-depth information on favorite fandoms or what’s buzzing in entertainment, Fandom has your pop culture curiosities covered through fan-expert knowledge and carefully curated and fun, original multi-platform content.
Fandom has a global audience of almost 300 million monthly unique users and encompasses over 400,000 fan communities. We currently feature more than 55 million pages of content, inclusive of video. Our Fandom values are:
- We serve a global community.
Connection with our fans, creators, and partners is at our core, and it’s grounded by our active efforts of inclusion.
- We build experiences.
We imagine, improve, and deliver solutions.
- We bring joy.
We celebrate our fandoms, our teammates, and the work we do.
Fandom is an Equal Opportunity Employer