Senior Software Engineer - League, Platform Modernization
Riot Engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the chance to work in many broader domains. As a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll also dive into projects that focus on team cohesiveness and cross-team objectives. You’ll lead without authority and provide other engineers with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering.
As a Senior Software Engineer on the League Platform Modernization team, based in our Los Angeles office, you'll report to the team's Engineering Manager. You'll write core backend services and tools to ensure high global quality of service for League of Legends. You'll use your experience with platforms and microservices to build reliable, scalable systems that are easy to understand and operate. You'll also draw on your experience with engineering best practices to ensure that our testing and deployment tech is top of the line. You'll work with other backend service teams and influence LoL-wide technical decisions.
- Write high-quality code that follows Riot and industry best practices
- Build and operate scalable microservices that require performance and reliability
- Develop and adopt tools that allow League of Legends to operate easily at scale
- Participate in the team's on-call rotation
- Participate in interviewing, and help with mentoring and career development of more junior engineers
- 5+ years of deep hands-on programming experience in one of the following languages: Java, C/C++, Go, Python, C#
- Experience operating and maintaining live web services and troubleshooting live issues
- Experience developing fault-tolerant distributed systems from the ground up, including requirements-gathering, architecture design, project breakdown, and execution
- Experience defining team-level technical processes, such as code reviews and testing
- Experience with cloud services (e.g. AWS, Azure)
- Experience developing and operating services at scale
- Experience with containerization technologies (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes)
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in gaming.
(Los Angeles only) Base salary range between $143,000 USD - $201,000 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).