Senior Software Engineer - Payments
Senior Software Engineer - Payments
Come build the future of Discord’s business with us! We are looking for impact-focused full-stack engineers to join our world-class Revenue group as we accelerate Discord’s growth through the creation of compelling paid products. These products allow us to grow our business while keeping Discord’s core functionality free, and without selling ads or user data. You will be reporting to the Engineering Manager of Payments. To learn more about Discord Engineering, take a look at our engineering blog!
What you'll be doing
- Work with engineers on the team to build the checkout and payments system that underpins Discord’s existing business lines, and enable new revenue streams across Web, Android, and iOS
- Own projects end to end — you’ll be responsible for working with Product to refine requirements, creating a technical spec, implementing changes, and seeing the project through to launch
- Work on projects to expand our payment method coverage and optimize our checkout funnel
- Integrate with 3rd party payment gateways and other vendors to support our purchase flows
- Support product teams by evolving our multi-tenant payments platform to enable new monetization features and product lines
- Partner with Product, Finance and Customer Success to improve processes and workflows. Deliver experiments on new workflows / systems and iterate based on feedback
- Work closely with Safety and Fraud operations teams to implement new fraud mitigations
- Improve reliability, observability, and stability of Discord’s billing system
What you should have
- 5**+ years of software engineering experience.** We primarily work in the backend (Python), but we also do some frontend work (React, Typescript). You have a background with a similar emphasis on backend development
- You have a growth mindset. You view challenges and mistakes as learning opportunities while building upon your successes. You push yourself and those around you to continuously improve
- You have a product sense. You maintain a high degree of empathy for your internal and external users, and seek feedback from them about your work
- You love experimentation. You get excited when numbers move by 1%
- Experience working in the payments/fintech domain
- Experience integrating with Stripe, Adyen, and/or Braintree
The US base salary range for this full-time position is ($190,000) to (204,000) + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
#buildbelonging #LI-TM1 #LI-HYBRID
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 14+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!