Senior Software Engineer, Personalization
Millions of people come to Discord every day to talk to their friends and hang out in communities they care about. We are a new team built to help people find the next best thing to do on Discord, whether that’s joining in a new conversation, discovering a new server, or joining your friends in an activity. Our goal is to help personalize each person’s experience on Discord so they can get to where they want to go as quickly and easily as possible. We’re a small but mighty team using tools ranging from third-party AI tools to internally fine-tuned LLMs combined with a variety of new product surfaces and interactions to make Discord a richer and more accessible platform for everyone.
What you'll be doing
- Build new features across our iOS, Android, Web apps and the Discord backend systems. We work across the stack, but it's ok if you don't know all of our technology on day one.
- Partner with our Machine Learning teams on building recommendations into various parts of Discord.
- Collaborate with product managers, designers, data scientists, and other engineers to cut through ambiguity and build a compelling set of new products.
- Dig into our third-party integrations with LLM providers along with our in-house AI infrastructure to define new ways for people to interact with each other.
- Pair with other engineers to write, review, and ship elegant, scalable, and high quality code.
What you should have
- 5+ years of experience working on large, cross-platform software projects. Especially features for products at scale or in real-time applications.
- Familiarity with web development (React, TypeScript)
- Familiarity with mobile development (React Native, Objective-C/Swift, Kotlin)
- An eye for visuals. Design skills are not required but you will critique and modify existing designs.
- Strong product intuition. You partner with product managers to define the best experiences on Discord and have opinions on how to make a good product great.
- Eagerness to learn. You are excited to dive into new technologies (such as AI and ML) that you aren’t familiar with as a way to broaden the impact you can have on our product.
- Experience working with cutting-edge AI platforms.
- Experience building ML-powered recommendations.
- Experience working on real-time data streaming services.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $190,000 to $204,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!