Senior Software Engineer, USD Foundation
Foundation is part of Core Engineering at Unity. We lay the groundwork for all of Unity's Editor and Runtime technology, and provide a strong base for both our users and our internal technology teams to build upon.
One of the foundations we're currently building is the integration of Pixar's Universal Scene Description (USD) into Unity. USD provides a robust and easily customizable interchange format for digital content, and enables workflows that let many artists collaborate seamlessly on the same scene. As part of Foundation's new USD team, you'll be responsible for customising, maintaining and extending Unity's version of the USD library, as well as helping to manage our contributions back to the open source USD project.
In this role you'll get the opportunity to work with other teams around the business that make use of USD, and help to enable their success. A key component of our USD library is the C# API, so prior experience of C# interface development would be an advantage. A curiosity about content pipelines combined with a solid grounding in good development practices, particularly API development, would also set you up for success here.
What you’ll be doing
- Collaborating with your team to develop the C# API for USD
- Customising and extending the USD library to meet user requirements
- Helping to integrate USD into our compilation pipeline
- Helping support and improve quality of our existing USD toolset
- Contributing to the open source USD project
What we’re looking for
- Experience and a solid understanding of C++ and/or C# development
- An eagerness to learn and apply good engineering practices and principles, particularly around API development
- Ability to communicate well within the team and with stakeholders
- Curiosity about the domain, coupled with a desire to learn and improve your skills
You might also have
- Prior experience with Unity or another game engine
- Experience working with cross platform development and/or contributing to open source software projects
- Knowledge of applications for 3D content creation (e.g. Maya, Houdini, Omniverse or Blender)
Life at Unity
Unity (NYSE: U) is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity is the foundation upon which the world’s most powerful digital content is created. Specifically, Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
In the fourth quarter of 2021, Unity had, on average, 3.9 billion monthly active end users who consumed content created or operated with its solutions. The applications developed by these creators were downloaded, on average, five billion times per month in 2021. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment and celebrate our employees across age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. Our differences are strengths that enable us to support the growing and evolving needs of our customers, partners, and collaborators. If there are preparations or accommodations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please fill out this form to let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.