Senior Software Engineer, Web Platform
The Web Platform team is responsible for building the future of our Unity Web Runtime. With recent advances in desktop and mobile browser capabilities there is a revival of browser gaming, there has never been a more exciting time to be a part of a platform that reaches all internet connected devices.
Joining Unity's Web team means not just helping build one of the most popular game engines in the world, but having an opportunity to advance real-time 3D interactive content for many industries.
The Web team supports internal and external users of the Unity Web platform. This role will be focused on designing and developing optimizations to enable our Web Runtime to load and startup quickly on mobile browsers. Areas of investigation will include stripping unused code from the game build and progressively loading assets as needed by the game.
You have probably worked on performance-critical, cross-platform applications in the past and you know the importance of writing fast, portable and maintainable code. You may also be familiar with real-time, browser-based application development using technologies such as HTML5, WebGL, WebAssembly or Emscripten. If you are looking to put these skills in the hands of millions of developers who are deploying Unity to the Web, we want to hear from you.
What you’ll be doing
- Maintain and extend “Unity WebGL”, Unity’s Web-based platform
- Research, design and implement solutions for optimizing the Web build target to reduce download and startup times.
- Define and collaborate on building a performance test framework to measure the impact of the optimization work.
- Mentoring other team members.
What we’re looking for
- Proven experience developing and delivering software solutions that scale.
- Development experience with cutting edge browser technologies: WebGL, WebAssembly (with Emscripten and/or LLVM).
- Experience using code profiling and debugging tools to identify and analyze inefficiencies.
- Understanding of code optimization techniques and/or compression methodologies.
You might also have
- C# development experience, or experience with OpenGL or a modern graphics API.
- Attention to writing high quality code, and setting a culture of quality code in an engineering team.
- Experience identifying and measuring what matters to end-users and prioritizing work to address the biggest gains first.
Life at Unity
Unity (NYSE: U) is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity is the foundation upon which the world’s most powerful digital content is created. Specifically, Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
In the fourth quarter of 2021, Unity had, on average, 3.9 billion monthly active end users who consumed content created or operated with its solutions. The applications developed by these creators were downloaded, on average, five billion times per month in 2021. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment and celebrate our employees across age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. Our differences are strengths that enable us to support the growing and evolving needs of our customers, partners, and collaborators. If there are preparations or accommodations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please fill out this form to let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.