Senior Technical Artist: Animation
At Rockstar Games, we create world-class entertainment experiences.
A career at Rockstar Games is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding and ambitious projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a dedicated and inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar Games is looking for a passionate Senior Technical Artist to work with our award-winning development team. You will have the opportunity to develop new tools and technologies, improve pipelines, and manage complex workflows for the vast amount of files and assets that make up our games.
This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar’s unique game development studio in the heart of Manhattan.
WHAT WE DO
- Interact closely with gameplay, cinematic, and facial animation teams in addition to tech art.
- Support animation pipelines and workflows.
- Work hand and hand with the motion capture pipeline team to ensure seamless back and forth between the mocap and animation departments and their processes.
- Continually innovate while solving technical problems throughout all phases of production.
- Design, develop, and support Python tools and processes to extend/enhance the animation tools pipeline.
- Develop automated solutions to help process large amounts of data more efficiently.
- Help problem solve and diagnose unexpected issues within the realm of animation.
- Write clear documentation for tools and workflows created.
- Participate in discussions and brainstorming sessions regarding the DCC pipeline.
- Provide thorough, thoughtful, and useful feedback (code reviews, mentoring those with less experience, buddy checks, etc).
- 5+ years of professional experience as a Technical Artist or similar role writing tools.
- Experience working through a full production cycle of a released game or equivalent experience working on long term projects or toolsets.
- Excellent programming skills in Python with a strong understanding of OOP best practices for clean, readable code.
- Ability to write tools for 3D package such as, but not limited to, MotionBuilder or Maya.
- Experience writing tools for animators.
- Deep understanding of the ins and outs of tools pipelines.
- Experience bringing forward and actioning new ideas to improve technology and processes.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Familiarity with coding UI using PySide or PyQt.
- A strong understanding of motion capture and experience working with it.
- Knowledge of character setup and good rigging standards.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a resume and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.
The pay range for this position in New York City at the start of employment is expected to be between the range below* per year. However, base pay offered is based on market location, and may vary further depending on individualized factors for job candidates, such as job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and other objective business considerations. Subject to those same considerations, the total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a bonus and/or equity awards, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an "at-will position" and the company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation or benefit program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.