Senior Technical Director (Motion R&D)
Wētā Digital is one of the world’s premier visual effects companies. We are known for uncompromising creativity and a commitment to developing innovative technology. Groundbreaking digital characters like Gollum, Kong, Neytiri, and Caesar are widely acknowledged as some of the best digital characters ever put on screen. Recently finished projects include Avatar: The Way of Water, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, and The Batman.
The Motion R&D department at Unity/Wētā Digital is responsible for building, maintaining and supporting the tools used by the Motion departments at Wētā FX: Animation, Motion Editing, Facial Motion, Crowds, and Previs. Our role is to enhance the capabilities of these departments.
In the beginning, you’ll learn and familiarise yourself with our vast codebase by helping users on the Support queue, improving artist experience, and reducing support, by hot-fixing and lodging issues to our development backlog. You will then dive in with a team of software developers to complete these issues, empowering our artists to deliver award-winning visual effects.
You will also work alongside the Pipeline, Engineering, Rendering, and Research departments.
What you’ll be doing
- Help provide timely support for active productions by taking shared ownership of our support queue
- Identifying and flagging potential technical impacts and opportunities encountered during production
- Proactively mentor/peer with junior team members
- Document, design, build, and maintain efficient tools and workflows
- Work with the team to continually improve our support process, tooling, and contribute to recruiting great teammates!
What we’re looking for
- Autodesk Maya experience, including scripting and programming plugins
- Experience supporting Animation or Motion Capture workflows
- Software Engineering Principles (including architecture, design patterns)
- Python, PyQt/PySide using git version control systems
- Verbal and written communication with developers, non-technical people, and leadership to understand feature requests and solve production problems
You might also have
- Experience with root-cause analysis and on-the-fly debugging in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in delivering results and exceeding customer expectations!
- The ability to adapt and respond to change!
Life at Unity
Unity (NYSE: U) is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity is the foundation upon which the world’s most powerful digital content is created. Specifically, Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
In the fourth quarter of 2022, more than 70% of the top 1000 mobile games were made with Unity as derived from a blended number of the top 1000 games in the Google Play Store and Apple App Store. In 2022, Made with Unity Applications had more than 4 billion downloads per month. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, disability, gender, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations or accommodations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please fill out this form to let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.
Your privacy is important to us. Please take a moment to review our Prospect and Applicant Privacy Policies. Should you have any concerns about your privacy, please contact us at DPO@unity.com.