Senior UX Designer, Social Systems, VALORANT
Riot Sydney is looking for an experienced Senior UX Designer to join the Sydney-based VALORANT team.
Working closely with the LA Headquarters, Riot Sydney is a powerhouse of talent, and experts in global development. Our team works on VALORANT, League of Legends and Teamfight Tactics, alongside exciting R&D and Tech projects.
If you believe that the Player Experience comes first, we want to hear from you. Our players are a diverse group from different backgrounds, and we want to see that reflected in the people who make our games, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment.
VALORANT is Riot’s take on a character-based tactical shooter (Find out more info on VALORANT).
As a Senior UX Designer working with our Social Systems teams on VALORANT, you will be responsible for delivering design work in a high-scope, complex, and often ambiguous product area. The Social Systems teams focus on how players interact with each other and bring the player community together. You will design social features and systems that allow players to communicate with each other, beyond chat and voice. You will bridge our social systems strategy with the wider Riot games ecosystem and think about scaling solutions in a multiplatform world.
As a User Experience Designer on the team, you will be a leading contributor to defining the team’s product and feature vision for our players, and trusted to design solutions that help players navigate all aspects of our game. You will work closely with Lead Designers, and your cross discipline teams, to produce strong UX flows through interesting and intuitive control schemes and layouts. You will be based in Sydney, working with and supporting our Social teams in both Sydney and North America during flexible core work hours. You will report to the Game Design Director.
- Support high-level design in developing intuitive control schemes and UX flows
- Build wireframes, interactive prototypes, and presentations as needed for proof of concept and implementation
- Expand our design thinking into the multiplatform space and consider solutions to fit our cross-platform strategy
- Communicate ideas and collaborate across teams to create designs in-game, and design large-scale products for players
- Be prepared to help implement prototypes (with engineering and UI support) to show proof of concept
- Collaborate with your teammates to help define an exciting vision and well-prioritized feature roadmap of a better player future
- Articulate design decisions and communicate your data-informed vision, design rationale and solutions to team members
- Deliver appropriate level of design artifacts for the team (e.g., strategy articulation and alignment frameworks, discovery/research results, journey maps, flows, wireframes, mockups and/or prototypes)
- Measure and monitor usage of, and player sentiment towards, new and existing features
- 5+ years experience designing digital experiences, products, and platforms as a User Experience Designer or Interaction Designer
- Experience with Figma for design library management and prototyping, experience with Adobe Creative Suite
- A minimum of a BA/BS degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Interaction/ Interface Design, Communication Design, Graphic Design, or equivalent experience
- A minimum of 1 year experience with Unreal Engine
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise and a collaborative spirit that prioritizes the delight of players. We will look at your past studies and experience, but for this role, we also look for dedicated people with a personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about players' experiences, this is the role for you!
We will review your work as part of the application process, so please provide a portfolio link or work samples with your application.
At Riot we strongly believe in work / life balance, and we encourage that with our open paid time off policy, paid parental leave (for both primary and secondary carers) and flexible work schedules to fit your lifestyle.
We also believe that work should be fun, we have a LAN gaming room, the latest consoles, a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community, and all the snacks you would ever need to power through your day (even healthy snacks!).
And that’s not all we offer, there’s also:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Stipend
- Wellbeing Reimbursement
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profits
- Employee Assistance Program
- Learning and Development opportunities