Senior UX Designer: Tools
At Rockstar Games, we create world-class entertainment experiences.
A career at Rockstar Games is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding and ambitious projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a dedicated and inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar North is on the lookout for a talented UX Designer who possesses a passion for video game content authoring tools and solutions. This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar’s unique game development studio in the heart of Edinburgh.
WHAT WE DO
- We create and maintain software tools that are used by all game development disciplines to support the creation of all Rockstar Games projects.
- These software tools range from digital content exporters, a data processing asset pipeline to game, CI/CD automation systems and UI editors.
- Work with artists/animators and tools developers to ensure that new tools and features have UX considered from conception through to early testing and beyond.
- Review existing tools and workflows with artists and animators using established UX techniques to identify and document problem areas in their workflows.
- Ensure consistency across tools, particularly where content creators are spanning multiple tools in their workflow.
- Work with our developers to provide expertise and assist in documenting our tools.
- Be proficient in Human-Centred Design (HCD) principles and processes, ensuring outcomes meet both business and user goals. Contribute to the overall product strategy and relationships with other teams.
- Champion Human-Centred Design (HCD) principles and processes, ensuring outcomes meet both business and user goals.
- Demonstrate exceptional problem solving, craft and IxD skills, underpinned by a strong understanding of systems.
- Demonstrate excellent knowledge of UX process and evidence-based design methodologies.
- Have strong experience with user flows and complex interactive prototypes at various levels of fidelity.
- Confidently collaborate and present work to team and stakeholders.
- Take ownership for the timely execution of all project deliverables.
- 5+ years of experience as a UX Designer or Interaction Designer.
- A degree in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) or a relevant field (design, software engineering) or equivalent qualifications or experience in a field of UX.
- Portfolio demonstrating applied human centered design processes and principles.
- Experience leading UX from the start to the end of a project.
- Deep understanding and experience of standard UX, UCD and service design processes.
- Good understanding of how insights and data guide UX processes.
- Proven ability to turn ideas into actionable development tasks that solve workflow and user interaction problems.
- Collaborative and pragmatic approach to work.
- Confident explaining designs and solutions to the wider team.
- Able to think strategically, creatively and conceptually.
- An eye for detail and strong design skills.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Understanding of good usability and accessibility practices.
- Proficiency in Figma, Adobe CS, Sketch, Invision and other prototyping tools.
- Natural curiosity for how video game content is authored and a desire to learn.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Strong interest and understanding of game development tools.
- Experience with telemetry and analytics.
- Experience in technical art or tools development.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a CV and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.