Software Development Engineer
Get to know The Pokémon Company International
The Pokémon Company International, a subsidiary of The Pokémon Company in Japan, manages the property outside of Asia and is responsible for brand management, licensing, marketing, the Pokémon Trading Card Game, the animated TV series, home entertainment, and the official Pokémon website. Pokémon was launched in Japan in 1996 and today is one of the most popular children's entertainment properties in the world.
Learn more online at Pokemon.com and on Facebook (facebook.com/pokemon), YouTube (youtube.com/pokemon), Twitter (twitter.com/pokemon), and Instagram (instagram.com/pokemon).
Get to know the role
- Job Title: Software Development Engineer
- Job Summary: The Software Development Engineer is primarily responsible for the design, development, and optimization of internal and partner facing Pokémon game management web applications, tools, build pipelines, and services. This role will make a great impact by enabling our internal users and vendors to have a clean, modern, and intuitive experience when interacting with our services. The Software Development Engineer will partner and collaborate with many teams both within and outside of the technology group.
- FLSA Classification (US Only): Exempt
- People Manager: No
What you’ll do
- Build efficient industry-leading, best-practice infused projects in a collaborative environment
- Implement, debug, and optimize code and tools which will impact the experience of tens of millions of users
- With high availability and scale in mind, work with microservices, gateways, security, queues, serialization, and more
- Collaborate with multiple disciplines to implement tools that bring to life gameplay features and mechanics – commerce, testing, account management, and other aspects are backend driven
- Maximize test coverage (unit, integration, automation, etc.) while working to find better ways to test sites, services, systems, and code
- Guide and mentor other engineers both within and outside of your immediate team
- Solve various challenges using complex algorithms, patterns, distributed systems, data structure analysis, and design for scale both in number of titles/products supported and number of users
- Bring enthusiasm and initiative to development of the full web stack from inception to CI/CD
What you’ll bring
- 4+ years with full-stack web application development
- Demonstrated experience with API design, gathering technical requirements, and writing documentation.
- Able to quickly mockup or prototype features to facilitate discussions and get buy-in
- Familiar with databases, caching, messaging, testing, and integrating with services
- BS Degree in Computer Science or related field, and/or equivalent years of work experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
How you’ll be successful
- Passion for Pokémon: Develops an understanding of the Pokémon brand, the impact it has on our people, culture, business, fans, and communities, and applying that knowledge and passion to everything you do.
- Challenging the Expected: Approaches challenges with curiosity and creativity, embracing the possibility of failure as an opportunity to learn something new, develop innovative ideas, solve complex problems and identify unique opportunities.
- Integrity and Respect: Demonstrates integrity and respect by leading with empathy, listening to others, seeking out different perspectives, and taking personal responsibility for decisions, actions, and results.
- Dedicated to Quality: Takes ownership to maintain and promote high standards, looks for new ways to learn and improve, and embraces a growth mindset to seek and apply feedback from others in an effort to continuously improve.
- Building Relationships: Develops and strengthens relationships, adopting a “team first” mentality and working collaboratively to solve problems and meet shared goals.
- Delighting Customers: Listens and understands the interests and needs of our customers and stakeholders, making them feel heard and important, and embracing these learnings to continue delivering a unique Pokémon experience.
What to expect
- An employee first culture
- Company events that celebrate the spirit of Pokémon
- Competitive cash-based compensation programs
- 100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for you
- Generous paid family leave
- Employer-paid life insurance
- Employer-paid long and short-term income protection insurance
- US Employees: 401k Employer Matching
- UK/IRE Employees: Pension Employer Contributions
- Fitness reimbursement
- Commuter benefit
- LinkedIn learning
- Comprehensive relocation package
- Hybrid work environment
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this role. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. Employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed. For roles in the United Kingdom, candidates will need the right to work. In some cases, and for some roles, the Company may be able to arrange a visa. For roles in Ireland, this role requires candidates to have the right to live and work in the Republic of Ireland. However, we welcome applications from all nationalities and may consider supporting an employment permit application, in appropriate and suitable cases.