Software Development Engineer (Developer)
Get to know The Pokémon Company International
The Pokémon Company International, a subsidiary of The Pokémon Company in Japan, manages the property outside of Asia and is responsible for brand management, licensing, marketing, the Pokémon Trading Card Game, the animated TV series, home entertainment, and the official Pokémon website. Pokémon was launched in Japan in 1996 and today is one of the most popular children's entertainment properties in the world.
Learn more online at Pokemon.com and on Facebook (facebook.com/pokemon), YouTube (youtube.com/pokemon), Twitter (twitter.com/pokemon), and Instagram (instagram.com/pokemon).
Get to know the role
Job Title: Software Development Engineer (Backend Developer)
Job Summary: This role designs and develops software applications.
FLSA Classification (US Only): Exempt
People Manager: No
What you’ll do
- Use technical knowledge to design and build complex backend applications to meet requirements/specifications
- Focus on building best-in-class application on a wide variety of third-party integrations and systems
- Collaborate with design and product management to optimize customer experience and performance.
- Develop components that support new features without affecting site performance.
- Integrate New Relic alerting in new feature development to measure performance and for monitoring.
- Fix bugs on existing code or enhance existing code to improve site stability and reduce errors.
- Provide estimates for bug fixes, enhancements or new feature requests.
- Design and develop new features based on business teams requests.
- Regular communication and collaboration with architect and other developers to ensure consistency across platform.
- Keep up to date on state-of-the-art methods, practices, and technologies
- Participate in a 24/7 on-call rotation.
What you’ll bring
- Five (5) to seven (7) years of related professional experience.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required.
- 3+ years of experience in developing backend applications using Java 8.
- 3+ years of experience working with AWS Lambda with java runtime.
- 3+ years of experience working with any Order Management Systems.
- Experience with Fluent commerce is strongly preferred.
- Experience in developing Karate or Junit test automation.
- Experience with Graphql is preferred.
- Experience with Docker or containerization is preferred.
- Deep understanding of SOAP, REST APIs, and Micro Services development.
- Experience operationalizing applications for performance, scalability, and active discoverability of errors and degradation.
- Experience with New Relic, Sumo Logic or similar tools for troubleshooting.
- Basic understanding or experience of Test-Driven Development is preferred.
How you’ll be successful
- Passion for Pokémon: Develops an understanding of the Pokémon brand, the impact it has on our people, culture, business, fans, and communities, and applying that knowledge and passion to everything you do.
- Challenging the Expected: Approaches challenges with curiosity and creativity, embracing the possibility of failure as an opportunity to learn something new, develop innovative ideas, solve complex problems and identify unique opportunities.
- Integrity and Respect: Demonstrates integrity and respect by leading with empathy, listening to others, seeking out different perspectives, and taking personal responsibility for decisions, actions, and results.
- Dedicated to Quality: Takes ownership to maintain and promote high standards, looks for new ways to learn and improve, and embraces a growth mindset to seek and apply feedback from others in an effort to continuously improve.
- Building Relationships: Develops and strengthens relationships, adopting a “team first” mentality and working collaboratively to solve problems and meet shared goals.
- Delighting Customers: Listens and understands the interests and needs of our customers and stakeholders, making them feel heard and important, and embracing these learnings to continue delivering a unique Pokémon experience.
What to expect
- An employee first culture
- Company events that celebrate the spirit of Pokémon
- Competitive cash-based compensation programs
- Base salary range: £60000.00 - 91000.00. This range is applicable for the labor market where the role is intended to be hired. It is common for TPCi to start employees below the midpoint of the range. Final base salary is directly related to each candidates qualifications and experience uniquely.
- 100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for you
- Generous paid family leave
- Employer-paid life insurance
- Employer-paid long and short-term income protection insurance
- US Employees: 401k Employer Matching
- UK/IRE Employees: Pension Employer Contributions
- Fitness reimbursement
- Commuter benefit
- LinkedIn learning
- Comprehensive relocation package
- Hybrid work environment
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this role. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. Employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed. For roles in the United Kingdom, candidates will need the right to work. In some cases, and for some roles, the Company may be able to arrange a visa. For roles in Ireland, this role requires candidates to have the right to live and work in the Republic of Ireland. However, we welcome applications from all nationalities and may consider supporting an employment permit application, in appropriate and suitable cases.