Software Development Mgr - Video Distribution
Twitch is the world’s biggest live streaming service, with global communities built around gaming, entertainment, music, sports, cooking, and more. It’s where millions of people come together to chat, interact, and make their own entertainment.
We’re about community, inside and out. You’ll find coworkers who are eager to team up, collaborate, and smash (or elegantly solve) problems together. We’re on a quest to empower live communities, so if this sounds good to you, see what we’re up to on LinkedIn and Twitter, get interviewing tips on Instagram, and discover projects we’re solving on our Blog.
About the Role
Twitch operates the largest dedicated live video CDN in the world, delivering over 25Tbps to more than 5MM concurrent viewers. The Video Distribution team oversees the software that operates that CDN, which includes everything from custom edge software that delivers video on thousands of hosts worldwide, to the graphing algorithms that manage our worldwide caching hierarchy, and to the complex and introspective algorithms that decide what server a user is assigned when they start playback.
We are looking for engineering managers who are excited by the thought of working across the entire CDN stack, from service load-balancing, to performance optimization, and to backbone traffic management. You will lead the Edge team, which is responsible for all services running on our CDN's edge. You will lead the team as we evolve the video system to meet our customer needs, including building toward a future where we offer sub-second latency at scale and implementing new video protocols.
- Attract and retain top engineering talent
- Assist your teams in developing roadmaps for system and product growth, then implement projects to support that growth
- Represent your team to senior leadership and other groups to build a meaningful vision and ensure you have the resources to deliver it
- Define vision for excellence at Twitch for your teams, and then achieve it
- Provide top level architectural direction to team leads and engineers to maintain a high standard of engineering quality
- Maintain a long-term focus on platform reliability
- 2+ years of hands on management experience building engineering teams to deliver and maintain complex systems
- 8+ years of hands-on development experience building and scaling complex systems.
- Experience with live video systems OR experience with large networks / CDNs
- Familiarity with network protocols and programming
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Twitch values your privacy. Please consult our Candidate Privacy Notice, for information about how we collect, use, and disclose personal information of our candidates.
Job ID: TW7867