Software Engineer - Communities
Communities play a huge part in Discord's mission. Millions of people come to Discord every day to hang out in communities for all kinds of interests, from servers where thousands of Harry Potter fans connect and geek out, to servers where students practice speaking new languages with native speakers halfway across the world. The Online Communities Group at Discord is working on building an amazing Discord experience for these large communities. Our current initiatives include building new channel types, like forums; a home page to catch up on the latest happenings in your community; a new member onboarding experience for customizing your community and making it accessible to anyone; and moderation tools to help admins and moderators run safe communities in a scalable way.
We are looking for full stack engineers who love building new products and creating delightful experiences to join our team and help make Discord the best platform for large communities.
What you'll do
- Build new features across our mobile and desktop clients that improve the core Discord experience for new and existing users
- Work on the end-to-end experience, including backend, React web frontend, and React Native mobile frontend
- Architect elegant and maintainable code with a focus on autonomy and support from the team
- Collaborate with product management, design, data, and marketing teams to build and launch new products that best help our users have a great experience on Discord
- Work closely with other passionate and experienced engineers to build great products and level up your engineering skills
Things we look for
- 2+ years of full-stack experience. We’re a multi-platform team, so it’s important to have a solid understanding of the development frameworks and fundamentals of one or more of our platforms: backend (Python and Rust), web (React, TypeScript), Android (React Native, Kotlin), or iOS (React Native, Objective-C, Swift). We don’t expect everyone to be an expert in all of these, but if you’re excited to learn more of these we’re excited to help you learn!
- Experience building and shipping consumer-facing products. Engineers on our team are given responsibility for end-to-end execution of new features. Your product instincts and experience will help us ship the highest quality experience.
- Experience working cross-functionally with designers, product managers, and others. We’re looking for team players who can work closely with cross-functional partners to ideate, plan, and execute projects with high impact on our team goals. Our team collaborates closely with data science, product marketing, user experience research, and more.
New York City residents only: Minimum salary of $165,000/year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law
Colorado residents only: Minimum salary of $132,000 /year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20)
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!