Software Engineer - Full-Stack (Safety)
As a full-stack Engineer on the safety team, you will get to have a direct impact on the experience that users have when encountering issues at Discord. Our work supports the lives of the user and the internal teams of Discord. You will be working with our Trust & Safety team to develop new tools & workflows to make them effective while also improving the lives of our users who love Discord.
- Build UIs and APIs in React and Python to empower our teams to detect and act, working with virtually all different parts of Discord.
- Facilitate abuse data understanding by building easy-to-understand analysis toolsets.
- Collaborate with analysts and other engineers to identify bottlenecks in their workflow and implement elegant solutions.
- Move quickly to respond to the evolving landscape of abuse on Discord.
- Iterate with the actual users of the tools to improve and rework.
- 2+ years experience writing Python.
- Experience working with other engineers, designers and non-engineers.
- Experience with databases such like Postgres.
- Experience with a backend web framework, such as Flask or Django.
- Familiarity with Retool
- Experience with services on Kubernetes
- Prior experience working in the Safety domain
- Open-source leadership and contributions.
- You have a strong moral compass that navigates and motivates you
New York City residents only: Minimum salary of $165,000/year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law
Colorado residents only: Minimum salary of $148,500/year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20).
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!