Software Engineer II Control and Camera Systems - Unpublished R&D product
Riot Engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the chance to work in many broader domains. As a Software Engineer, you’ll also dive into projects that focus on team cohesiveness and cross-team goals. You’ll lead without authority and provide other engineers with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering.
As a Gameplay Engineer with expertise in character, controls, and camera (CCC) systems, you will be responsible for solving complex gameplay problems related to delivering impeccable character controls and play feel. As a Software Engineer II focused on gameplay systems and feature development, you will use your understanding of the entire software development lifecycle to help us prepare and deliver our game to a mass market while remaining focused on defining and delivering an outstanding gameplay experience for players.
- Help us synthesize what great gameplay looks like and identify ideal solutions for solving complex CCC problems
- Serve as a subject-matter-expert on CCC and related gameplay systems with a focus on gamepad-first controls
- Drive and contribute to feature and technical designs related to both CCC-focused and general gameplay systems
- Work collaboratively with design and engineering peers and leaders to create great gameplay experiences
- 5+ years of game development experience, with at least 3 years focused on CCC-related gameplay systems
- Strong ability to collaborate with teammates across multiple initiatives and disciplines
- Excellent knowledge of common game and software design patterns
- Product sense and player empathy in making tech decisions
- Knowledge of modern C++ development practices
- Experience developing games using the Unreal Engine
- Experience developing action games with third person gamepad controls
- Experience developing competitive online games
- Experience with novel movement and control systems
- Experience with effective user experience and player onboarding
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise and a collaborative spirit that prioritizes the delight of players. We will look at your past studies and experience, but for this role, we also look for dedicated people with a personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about players' experiences, this is the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
(Los Angeles only) Base salary range between $143,000 USD - $201,000 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.