Software Engineer Manager
Senior Engineering Manager
Location: Austin. Flexible for working from home.
Production Infrastructure & Engineering (PI&E) organization provides the essential platforms and infrastructure hosting solutions that power EA's live services. Our charter is to make EA's games and services available to all players anytime and anywhere. To do this, we focus on the high availability of infrastructure, primary services, and studio services. We aim to help developers to experiment and build new games quickly with infrastructure services on-demand and workflows that promote rapid development in the cloud. In all of this, we focus on being there for players where and when they want to play.
The PI&E ODI Service Insights team is looking for a leader to contribute to the service availability Insights and alerting workstreams. This team provides the portal experience and alerting capabilities for monitoring live services that power EA's games.
What you'll accomplish in this role:
As a Senior Software Engineering Manager your primary responsibility will be to lead a team of engineers in strategic planning, building, testing, and operating several of our services. This is a hands-on leadership role where your time will be spent working with the team delivering new features and services that promote better experiences for our players while optimizing performance, reliability, and scalability of those services. You will have broad impact in this role where depending on the phase of a project, you could lead requirements gathering sessions, collaborating on design and architecture, reviewing other engineers' work and even coding up small features and/or coding.
You will report to a Senior Director of Engineering and as a technical engineering manager, you will help shape people's careers and mentor the team in growing and reaching their full potential. Engineering leaders at EA are expected to live by EA's values: Be Human First, Play as One, Aim, Inspire, Listen and Improve.
Strategy and Planning:
- Create technical requirements for new services and new features.
- Work with engineers, program, and product managers to balance making forward-looking technical investments, delivering new features for customers, and driving down technical debt.
- Provide input for high-level planning (resource planning, effort estimate, impact/priority/risk/dependency assessment).
- Work with customers and business leaders to understand their needs and use cases for our services.
- Review designs, demos and documentation to ensure team's deliverables meets requirements.
- Promote improvements (process, tooling) to increase engineering productivity and product quality.
- Participate in sprint execution. Assist team with estimation, risk and dependency management, overcoming technical challenges and removing roadblocks to ensure delivery.
- Provide feedback to help your team support career development and learning.
- Recognize team members and align rewards with performance.
- Hands-on development – you lead by example.
- Interview and hire engineers according to resource planning.
- Coaching and mediation skills
- Experience managing and project planning for a 5+ team.
- Technical leadership and mentoring experience especially growing early in career engineers.
- Experience with all phases of product development lifecycle, including requirement definition, development, test, CI/CD and DevOps processes.
- 5+ years of shipping cloud scale services with customer-facing user experience.
- Experience with stress testing plus performance tuning and optimization.
- Excellent debugging and optimization skills working in a multi-threaded environment.
- Experience assessing, troubleshooting, and mitigating issues in live environments.
- Knowledge of high traffic services and highly scalable systems.
- Working knowledge of relational databases.
- Experience with cloud computing technologies such as Kubernetes, including auto scaling and elastic load balancing.
- Knowledge of AWS or GCP cloud offerings.