Unity is the ubiquitous 3D engine that runs real-time content anywhere. We serve interactive content creators by making Unity the best way to get real-time content on any device or form factor. Our System Capabilities team contributes to this vision by crafting and implementing APIs that allow creators to take advantage of similar features across platforms without the need to know platform-specific development details. This ensures that similar features can be accessed with a single API that "just works" across our supported platforms.
To achieve this mission, we are looking for an experienced engineer to join the Platform Systems organisation on the System Capabilities team.
A successful developer in this role will be a one who has the desire to investigate and understand how similar features are implemented across various platforms, then use that knowledge to design unified APIs that can be used across platforms. This will require deep cooperation with teammates as well as the willingness to build relationships with technical teams across Unity. We strive for an environment in which the best ideas win by encouraging and respecting the input of all team members, taking into account different communication styles and experiences.
What you'll be doing
- Crafting unified APIs that implement features of various target platforms a single, unified and testable way.
- Contributing the implementations of these APIs to the Unity codebase, including unit tests.
- Advocate for the unification of disparate platform implementations into simple abstractions across Unity
- Refactoring existing code to be more efficient and maintainable
- Responding to user feedback and solving user issues with the codebase
- Deliver a stable quality product that the team is proud of by exemplifying robust API design methodologies along with high-quality C# and C++ coding practices
What we're looking for
- A solid understanding of and experience using C++ in a production environment
- Knowledge of native development on at least one desktop, mobile or console platform with the curiosity to work with additional platforms and form-factors
- Experience working with a small to medium size team to implement features in a large and sophisticated code base
- Empathy for the unique challenges game developers face building and maintaining rich experiences over multiple platforms
- Experience contributing to cross-team projects from initiation to completion
You might also have
- C# coding experience
- Experience with API design and asynchronous coding paradigms
- Experience developing Unity-based games or extending the Unity editor
- Development experience with multiple game consoles, mobile or desktop platforms
- Experience shipping cross-platform titles that also use platform-specific features when appropriate
Life at Unity
Unity (NYSE: U) is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity is the foundation upon which the world’s most powerful digital content is created. Specifically, Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
In the fourth quarter of 2021, Unity had, on average, 3.9 billion monthly active end users who consumed content created or operated with its solutions. The applications developed by these creators were downloaded, on average, five billion times per month in 2021. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment and celebrate our employees across age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. Our differences are strengths that enable us to support the growing and evolving needs of our customers, partners, and collaborators. If there are preparations or accommodations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.