Software Engineer, VALORANT
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played video game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That's where you come in.
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. As a Software Engineer, you’ll also dive into projects that focus on team cohesiveness and cross-team objectives. You’ll lead without authority and provide other engineers with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering.
As a Senior Software Engineer in VALORANT, you will work on a multi-disciplinary team with artists, designers and product managers to create and support the many facets of play.
You will report to the Production Lead for VALORANT China.
VALORANT is Riot’s take on a character-based tactical shooter (for more info on VALORANT click here!). As the first Engineering hire for VALORANT CN team, you will be working closely with the VALORANT central engineering team and building out VALORANT’s engineering organization in China, from scalable backend services to the performant game client and server tech. You will be establishing the engineering culture for VALORANT in China, scaling up the team, and building a collaborative working relationship with the VALORANT central team.
- Build player-facing experiences that expand and enhance the game experience within a complex ecosystem
- Work with a team of experts to design and build new game features
- Ensure the team is adhering to engineering excellence which includes: code maintainability, quality, monitoring, operational excellence, and documentation. Provides and champions "definition of done" to their team
- Provide meaningful code reviews for other members of the team
- Mentor other Junior engineers in technical skills
- 4+ years as an Software Engineer working on projects that at least shipped.
- 6+ years professional experience as a software engineer in game development
- As an Software Engineer, having taken part in at least 1 Unreal Engine 4 project, which will be better if it’s published(but not a must)
- Having experience as a Software Engineer in at least 1 project from beginning to being successfully published.
- Familiarity working in an agile environment
- Have a passion for Shooting genre games
- Accustomed to pioneering cutting-edge technology in game industry
- Experience with combat and animation systems
- Experience with developing tools
- Experience with general gameplay systems
- Experience shipping games across multiple platforms (PC, mobile, console)
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.