Job Title Sr. Paralegal
Reporting to an attorney, the candidate will perform and manage diverse and complex legal assignments including the clearance of products, games, and other entertainment contents and ensure that internal documentation, standards, and processes are robust, thorough, and well documented. You will closely work with various internal stakeholders including the legal team and the localization and video game development team and will coordinate with outside counsels and business partners.
What You’ll Do
- Conduct copyright and trademark clearance in video games, animation content review, physical products, and related marketing materials and maintain and manage the clearance process.
- Collaborate with affiliated companies or business partners in preparing and filing trademark applications on a global basis.
- Collaborate with affiliated companies or business partners in management of trademark opposition, cancellation, and other conflict matters.
- Support in-house attorneys and business teams in intellectual property (IP) operations and processes, and/or working with outside counsel when necessary.
- Maintain and manage data entry into global trademark, copyright and patent database.
- Support in-house attorneys in patent prosecution and portfolio management, including securing inventor assignments and declarations.
What You’ll Bring
- Experience in entertainment industry or equivalent experience, preferably in a law firm and/or corporation.
- 5 years of experience conducting copyright and trademark clearance.
- Strong working knowledge of intellectual property law.
- Experience with children’s entertainment and/or digital entertainment platforms (preferred).
- Demonstrated experience handling a variety of assignments, balancing priorities and meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment; and working collaboratively within a legal team and with client groups to streamline business process.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience and education.
How You Will Be Successful
- Communication: Expresses information and thoughts clearly, concisely, and accurately in individual and/or group situations. Adapts the presentation of information to the audience and situation. Professional and respectful in communication style.
- Collaborative and inclusive: Ability to work collaboratively and comfortably with all employees who have diverse skills and experience and are in different geographies and levels within the organization.
- Accuracy/Quality: Produce results or provide services that meet or exceed TPCi standards. You show concern for quality, accuracy and completeness of work activities and personally seeks to add value in every work assignment. Notice opportunity to improve quality and take action to do so.
- Conflict Management: Negotiates skillfully in tough situations with both internal & external groups. Settles differences and gains consensus without impacting relationships. Direct as well as diplomatic. Good sense of timing; can work out tough agreements & settle disputes equitably.
- Global and diverse perspective: Understand how ethnic, cultural, and political matters influence business and can integrate local and global information into decisions affecting multiple sites. Appreciate diversity of talent, thought, and representation.
What to Expect
We offer a professional, fun and creative work environment. While we maintain a good balance between work and life, additional hours may be required at peak times or for specific initiatives.
The Pokémon Company International, a subsidiary of The Pokémon Company in Japan, manages the property outside of Asia and is responsible for brand management, licensing, marketing, the Pokémon Trading Card Game, the animated TV series, home entertainment, and the official Pokémon website. Pokémon was launched in Japan in 1996 and today is one of the most popular children's entertainment properties in the world.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of people so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.