Staff Data Engineer - Business Operations
Data Engineers at Riot bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas and also value the opportunity to work in many broader domains. Our engineers are player-focused and aim to find solutions that make players excited to experience our games. Principal Engineers, at Riot, are often called on to help with the hardest problems on a project by using their expertise to find creative solutions.
As a Staff Data Engineer on the Business Operations team you will oversee all parts of the data value chain to help business leaders better the cost of our infrastructure. Riot relies on cloud computing heavily to serve players. Monitoring the cost of that usage is important so that every dollar a player invests can be re-applied to enhance their experience. You will lead the development of our cloud attribution data pipelines, and work with senior leaders across Riot to influence multi-million dollar decisions. Your work and input will meaningfully impact all of Riot, and not just the Business Operations team. You will report directly to the Engineering Manager for the sub initiative.
- Ensure the Team of Teams/Initiative is adhering to data engineering excellence which includes: code maintainability, data architecture, data and service quality, monitoring, operational excellence, and documentation
- Provide and champion "definition of done" to their Team of Teams/Initiative
- Develop the project roadmap, targeting opportunities to collect and leverage data to advance the goals of the BizOps teams
- Mentor and coach to lift the expertise of the cross-discipline team of scientists, data engineers and analytics engineers you will oversee or interact with
- Constantly innovate to improve player experience by unlocking player impacts during outages, provide insights and value to improve tech spend across game teams & vertical customers
- Typically serve as a data systems/data warehouse/data infrastructure SME influential technical leader at Team of Teams/Initiative scope and can work collaboratively across data org teams and partners
- 7+ years of data engineering experience
- Experience developing mission-critical data systems that have a significant impact on a game from scratch, including gathering requirements and designing scalable, production-ready architecture
- Fully immersed expertise in Python, PySpark, SQL, and tools such as Airflow and DBT.
- Proficient in Cloud Infrastructure (AWS / GCP) and Databricks
- Displays the highest level of craft mastery within the Team of Teams/Initiative of the industry-standard tools, frameworks, and practices for their language(s) of choice in the space of data system, data warehouse, and data infrastructure
- Experience leveling up, mentoring more junior engineers (Associate DE, DE, DE II)
- Experience in technologies such as Change Data Capture (CDC)
- Experience with other related data processing platforms (Flink, Hive) and storage systems (S3, Vertica, kafka, ElasticSearch, Dynamo, MySQL or Postgres)
- Experience using containers (Docker, Kubernetes) and infrastructure as code (Terraform, Ansible)
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about players' experiences, this could be your role!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.