Staff Detection and Response Engineer
Discord is about giving people the power to create space to find belonging in their lives. Trusted by millions of people to keep their communications secure, private, and out of the hands of evildoers, security and privacy are necessary to Discord's success.
We are looking for a Staff Detection and Response Engineer reporting to the Head Of Security Engineering to join us in building a secure and private platform for Discord's users. If you are an Engineer with a passion for security and privacy, a deep sense of curiosity, and an endless desire to improve Discord, read on!
What you’ll do:
- Use your background in application, network, and cloud security to act as subject matter expert in incident response
- Identify, analyze, and respond to malicious behaviors from a variety of sources and create action plans to mitigate similar incidents in the future
- Develop automation to improve detection and response time and reduce the likelihood and impact of future incidents
- Collaborate with Product, Engineering, and Safety teams to identify new alert sources and detections as it pertains to new product development.
- Support threat intelligence, threat hunting, intrusion detection, and penetration testing efforts.
- Lead and participate in architecting and developing well-engineered and performant detective tooling and automation.
What you have:
- 5+ years of experience working in a Detection and Response capacity either as a senior individual contributor or Lead.
- 5+ years of experience programming in at least one general purpose programming language (e.g. Python, Rust, Go).
- Experience writing “glue code” and business logic, and deploying artifacts to production environments
- Practical experience securing, monitoring, and conducting investigations in cloud-based environments (we use Google Cloud).
- Experience-informed opinions on the effectiveness of different alert and detection types.
- Knowledge of malware and exploit tools, tactics, techniques, and procedures for infiltration and persistence.
- Experience building and iterating on observability of large-scale distributed systems.
- Experience with container orchestration technologies (we use Kubernetes).
- Experience with serverless technologies (e.g. Cloudflare Workers, Google Cloud Functions)
- Experience with detection and response in BeyondCorp / Zero-trust network environments
- Hands on experience with Google Cloud
- Hands on experience with Cloudflare
- Hand on experience with Panther SIEM
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!