Staff Software Engineer, Data Infrastructure
The Data Infrastructure team builds data pipelines to reliably collect, anonymize, and process billions of product activity events every day. We operate a petabyte-scale data warehouse and provide tools that empower the machine learning, data science, and business analysis teams at Discord. Our work enables user privacy and product features; and is foundational to making Discord a safer place to talk and hang out with your friends.
If that sounds exciting to you, read on!
What You'll Be Doing
- Build the platform that empowers our Data Science, Machine Learning, powers product features used by millions of users every day.
- Own and operate our entire data stack using modern technologies such as BigQuery, Cassandra, Apache Beam, Pub/Sub, and Airflow.
- Build efficient solutions on top of Google Cloud Platform using Python and Scala.
You'll Thrive In This Role If...
- You have 10+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- Experience building and deploying large-scale distributed systems.
- Extensive experience leading complex technical projects in dynamic environments with successful outcomes
- Experience with open source and managed big data services like Kafka, Spark, Flink, Cassandra, Hadoop, etc.
- You thrive in ambiguous environments and get excited about figuring out solutions to complex problems, and then executing on them.
- You are a first principles thinker that can work with others to come up with pragmatic solutions — and then evolve and generalize them.
- You have the ability to take a high-level goal and deliver shippable code.
- Proven track record of building and operating petabyte-scale data infrastructure
- Experience with data products on Google Cloud Platform
New York City residents only: Minimum salary of $214,000/year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law
Colorado residents only: Minimum salary of $192,600/year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20).
#buildbelonging #LI-Remote #LI-Hybrid #LI-AB1
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!