Staff Software Engineer - Esports
Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it’s for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide.
The last 12 months have been amazing for esports at Riot. We held our most-watched League of Legends Worlds Championship, and we ran our first global tournaments for VALORANT, Wild Rift, and Legends of Runeterra. On the back of that success, and in our ever-growing dedication to our mission to be the most player focused company in the world, Riot is doubling down on our investment in the esports and fan experience with industry-leading innovations like Project Stryker that will make our ambitions come to life.
The Esports Watch team is Riot’s big bet in the area of “Reinventing the Watch Experience.” that will focus on making it easier for fans to find the content that matters most. You can read more about that in our CEO’s blog, “Calling the shot: the Next Five Years at Riot Games.” We are looking for passionate, innovative individuals with a keen eye and ear for fan behaviors. In addition to a large internal team working on this, we are working with external development partners that have specialized expertise who are helping us scale our delivery.
As a Staff Software Engineer on the Watch team you’ll be trusted to push large scoped backend projects, collaborate closely with design and product peers, and level up other software engineers in the team. The team’s primary focus is developing a greenfield product and as such there are opportunities to flex both leadership and engineering skills.
You will report to the Director, Software Engineering for Esports R&D.
- You will lead and contribute to technical direction, design, and implementation of the Esports watch platform and the services that expand and enhance our player-facing experiences
- You will lead by technical example, lifting the expertise and skills of people around you through spec reviews, code reviews, documentation, and testing
- You will collaborate closely with our esports R&D leadership and Riot platform and technology teams to ensure the right tech capabilities are prioritized and built.
- BS in Computer Science (or equivalent experience)
- 6+ years of experience or equivalent in Software Engineering in cloud-native or microservice architectures
- 4+ years of experience with AWS (or comparable cloud environments)
- Deep hands-on programming experiences with Java
- Experience with agile methodologies such as Scrum or Kanban
- Familiarity with "Infrastructure as Code" and tooling like Terraform
- Familiarity with CI/CD using Docker and Jenkins
- Experience in digital video workflows and live streaming at scale
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
(Los Angeles only) Base salary range between $170,000 USD - $238,000 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).