Staff Software Engineer, Gameplay Tech - VALORANT
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in many broader domains. As a Staff Software Engineer, you’ll also dive into projects that focus on team cohesiveness and cross-team goals. You’ll lead without authority and provide other engineers with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering.
VALORANT is Riot’s take on a character-based tactical shooter (for more info on VALORANT click here!). As a Software Engineer III working on a VALORANT Gameplay Systems Team, you are responsible for helping Riot build a features in one of a few areas:
- Characters: You will build a roster of VALORANT Agents based on a foundation of expressive and maintainable gameplay systems. You will keep the player experience in mind as you work collaboratively with artists, designers, and producers to deliver exemplary Agents to our players.
- Modes: You will build novel game modes that create a uniquely VALORANT experience for a variety of play styles. You will collaborate closely with designers, QA, and producers to deliver and evolve a well rounded collection of game modes giving every VALORANT player a place to play.
- Gameplay Tech: You will work on core gameplay systems such as movement, hit registration, and client/server interaction. You will also collaborate with a number of other VALORANT teams in ensuring a high quality player experience.
- Design, develop and implement intricate gameplay systems and features
- Collaborate with designers to support execution and release of Agents with highly-varying functionality and technical needs
- Create and/or contribute to best practices, development processes and coding standards
- Build and manage strong relationships between disciplines
- Mentor other engineers and provide technical guidance to the gameplay systems teams
- Act as a trusted advisor to gameplay leadership concerning technical and product roadmap decisions
- 7+ years of experience
- 3+ years of experience with C++
- Familiarity working in an agile environment
- Experience implementing gameplay systems
- Experience working on competitive multiplayer games
- Experience with Unreal Engine
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players and fans. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in gaming
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).