Staff Software Engineer, Machine Learning - Homefeed & Notifications
Discord is about creating a space for everyone to find belonging in their lives. Hundreds of millions of people use Discord every week to have meaningful interactions.
The mission of the Content Recommendation team at Discord is to help users connect and engage with the online communities to create this belonging. We are working on enabling our users' experiences with search, recommendations, and smart notifications. We are just starting to build these ML driven user experiences and if you are someone who is passionate about building things from scratch, this could be a great opportunity for you!
What You'll Do:
- Care deeply about business outcomes and constraints and keep them in mind as they solve hard, unbounded problems; Work with product, data science, policy and UXR to create an ML driven product strategy.
- Collaborate with leadership and senior engineers across the team to define the technical vision and build on the technical roadmap for ML systems.
- Design and build large scale low latency machine learning systems for retrieval, ranking and personalization.
- Build generalizable infrastructure for retrieval, ranking and NLP, especially using MLOps stacks like TFX.
- Working with Engineering Managers and other Staff Engineers to make decisions for Discord and engineering function as a whole.
- Coach and mentor the next generation of technical leaders at Discord.
What You'll Need:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a quantitative field including Computer Science, Physics, Applied Math, Statistics or other quantitative fields.
- 7+ years of software development experience, or 5+ years with an advanced degree.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work well cross-functionally.
- Strong product sense, maintain a high degree of empathy for your internal and external users and seek feedback from them about your work
- First Principles mindset and approach. Comfortable with ambiguity and get excited about working collaboratively to figure out solutions to complex problems, and then implementing them.
- You have helped define the architecture, tooling, and strategy for large-scale machine learning systems and tools.
- You have shipped large-scale recommendation/ search / adsML systems; and you've worked with distributed systems deployed at scale.
- You have a deep understanding of seminal approaches to retrieval and ranking; and you keep up with the industry trends and can assess new technologies that can help us better solve problems.
New York City residents only: Minimum salary of $214,000/year + equity and benefits*Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency LawColorado residents only: Minimum salary of $171,200/year + equity and benefits*Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20).
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!