Staff Technical Program Manager - Data Governance
Discord is your place to talk. Whether you're part of a school club, gaming group, worldwide art community, or just a handful of friends that want to spend time together, millions of people use Discord every day to create connections, hang out, and talk.
Technical Program Managers operate within the Engineering organization and have technical knowledge that enables them to manage company-wide programs, guide cross-team projects, and accelerate the execution of a team's roadmap. This is a Staff TPM role, reporting to the Director of TPM, responsible for driving Discord’s Data Governance program. If you are a productive, first-principles thinker, who develops strong relationships between partners we'd encourage you to apply!
What you'll do
- Responsible for development of our data governance program with a focus on ensuring our infrastructure and products meets compliance requirements and adapts to future regulatory needs.
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners to develop policies & processes for data retention and storage and translate those requirements into technical asks.
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners to define and implement the roadmap for data access, discoverability, and auditing.
- Develop operational runbooks for managing access controls, data governance incidents, and compliance data inquiries.
- Run our Data Governance Council - including aligning the team on success criteria and ensuring we are delivering results.
- Manage stakeholder communication and progress reporting at multiple levels of the organization including leadership and executives.
Who you are
- Experienced with Data Infrastructure, Privacy, Security, or Compliance programs.
- Can solicit inputs, assess risk, and present options to drive alignment and ensure efficient execution.
- Experience translating business and legal requirements, along with technical requirements and limitations, between partners across the organization.
- 5+ years of technical product/program management experience, software engineering, or data governance work.
- Knowledge and deep experience in technical program management methodologies.
- Experience moving technical or engineering programs from concept to completion and promoting the impact using metrics, growth examples, Value etc.
- Can break down complex challenges into workable components and make continuous progress towards solving a problem vs. trying to boil the ocean.
- A love for helping & empowering others
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering, or relevant technical experience
- Experience managing a Data Governance program for a similar sized company
- Remote: We are open to remote candidates
New York City residents only: Minimum salary of $201,000/year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law
Colorado residents only: Minimum salary of $180,900/year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20).
#buildbelonging #LI-Remote #LI-Hybrid #LI-AR1
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!