Staff Technical Program Manager - Strategy and Operational Excellence
Discord is your place to talk. Whether you're part of a school club, gaming group, worldwide art community, or just a handful of friends that wants to spend time together, millions of people use Discord every day to create connections, hang out, and talk.
Technical Program Managers operate within the Engineering organization and have technical knowledge that enables them to develop and manage engineering-wide programs, drive cross-team projects, and accelerate the execution of a team’s roadmap. The right candidate will be an excellent communicator, comfortable in a fast-moving organization, and eager to collaborate to solve difficult challenges. This is a staff TPM role, reporting to the director of TPM, who will leverage their technical acumen and excellent leadership skills to build scalable processes and frameworks utilized across Engineering. The ideal candidate is an organized, productive, first-principles thinker, who is able to thrive in high-pressure, time-sensitive scenarios, and is willing to adapt to the needs of the business.
What you'll be doing
- Partner closely with Engineering leadership and our cross-functional partners in the development of long-term goals, strategic objectives, and the planning and operational reviews necessary to achieve them
- Utilize appropriate mechanisms to ensure the success of our programs including: setting standards, introducing tooling/automated solutions, providing education, or developing processes
- Be an internal consultant and thought partner within the org to demonstrate how TPM methodologies can enable the success of our strategic initiatives
- Drive metric initiatives and performance across multiple operational programs
- Mature and manage our change management process
- As needed, own and manage business-critical initiatives through strong cross-functional collaboration, prioritization, and tracking of progress and milestones
Who you are
- 5+ years of technical program management experience, engineering management, or product management
- Experienced in driving strategy through building scalable operational processes, with risks and trade-offs accounted for
- Experienced in developing and articulating organizational goals and managing planning in order to achieve them
- Demonstrated success collaborating with cross-functional stakeholders
- Comfortable presenting and communicating complex issues to a variety of audiences
- A love for helping & empowering others
- Experienced managing company-wide or organizational strategic and operational processes
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering, or relevant technical experience
- Remote: We are open to remote candidates
New York City residents only: Minimum salary of $201,000 year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law
Colorado residents only: Minimum salary of $160,800 year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20).
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!