Technical Art Director
As Technical Art Director for the Total War franchise you will join the core technology group and take responsibility for the technical art and animation teams which support all Total War titles and development of our internal engine. This will include development, hiring and mentorship of the teams.
On a day-to-day basis you will work with art and engineering leadership to support our in-flight games and develop the roadmap of technology for the future. You will work to emplace the standards, workflows and pipelines which support excellence across the franchise.
Flexible working at Creative Assembly includes hybrid, fully remote within country of employment for eligible roles, and in-studio. We recognise that there is no one-size-fits-all approach and empower our teams to define the working patterns which work best for them, which may mean different things for different teams and roles and at different times.
This role is Hybrid and has an expectation of 3 days per week in our Horsham studio. This role cannot offer fully remote working. Further details can be discussed during the recruitment process.
As Technical Art Director on the award-winning TW franchise you will take a franchise wider view, looking across all games you will be responsible for:
Defining and Upholding Standards:
- Collaborating with our rendering and art teams to define standards (polycount target, shaders, texture resolution, etc) for all game teams to use with our internal engine
- Collaborating with art leads to define workflows and pipelines for all games created with our internal engine.
- Leading and mentoring technical art and animation leads
- Technical skills mentorship in art teams across the franchise
- Working with teams to improve efficiency of workflows and pipelines.
- Collaborating with graphics, tools, and art teams to define the future of rendering and art tooling for the franchise
- R&D into emerging technologies and their possible impact on development
- Balance future and current work with a view to the longer term of a franchise.
- Experience of three or more full game development cycles
- Experience leading a team of significant size (Ideally multiple teams)
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong knowledge of industry standard art tools (Max, Maya, Houdini etc)
- A forward looking and passionate understanding of the future of art tooling and rendering techniques
- Experience with Python and scripting for DCC tools
- A skilled artist
- C++ Knowledge
- Passion for strategy games
About Creative Assembly
It’s an exciting time to be a part of our craft-led studio as we push boundaries, creating deep and detailed experiences that last.
Our teams are diverse from across the world, from trainees to industry veterans who constantly challenge us and make sure we are striving for the best within our games and our studio life. We are united through our shared values of Quality, Focus, Teamwork, Respect and Trust and we win awards for our culture and our people-centric approach, having won a Best Place to Work Award for six consecutive years. We invest in our people, the studio, and our projects. We are a company that’s secure and safe – you don’t need to worry about job security at CA.
We’ll give you the creative freedom, tools, support, and development to achieve your potential.
Our studios are based in Horsham, UK and Sofia, Bulgaria, including several bespoke state-of-the-art audio suites and a dedicated motion capture facility.
We offer many benefits to support you and your family including:
- Flexible working: hybrid, fully remote within country of employment for eligible roles, and in-studio working
- Work from Anywhere for a temporary period each year (restrictions apply such as VISAs)
- Enhanced holiday allowance, maternity and paternity breaks, flexibility with our core hours, and no-notice holidays
- Bespoke relocation package for you and your dependents, with support throughout the process from our dedicated Relocation Specialists
- Private medical and dental insurance, life insurance, permanent health insurance, critical illness cover and free health care screening
- Generous holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, and all UK Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Join our award-winning education and social responsibility programme; the Legacy Project, as an industry ambassador to mentor and educate others
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support including SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops, on-site training with renowned specialists and global conference attendance
- Opportunity to join our Diversity and Inclusion Network – an employee-led group
- Season ticket travel loans and cycle to work scheme with free bike servicing and discounted car valet service on site
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast in the studio every day - toast, bagels, pancakes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, smoothies, juices, milkshakes and more in our fully stocked kitchen
- Wellbeing support with an employee assistance programme and onsite confidential sessions
- In-studio heavily subsidised massage therapy
- Discounts for home technology, travel insurance, corporate gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, trips out and Ikea vouchers, and many local businesses including estate agents
- Studio parties for you and your family; such as our Summer Festival, Christmas Party plus a separate Children’s Christmas Party. We also have Cinema days and wrap parties for game releases
- Studio community activities such as life drawing, creative writing, Pilates, Walking Challenges, Couch to 5k, basketball, game and movie evenings, board game club, 5-a-side football, CA Choir, Sword fighting (yes, sword fighting) and loads more.