Technical Designer - High Moon Studios
Job Title:Technical Designer - High Moon Studios
Great Games Start with Great People! This is a significant time in our company’s history - and one of the most exciting times to join us. We are seeking a versatile, self-directed game designer with strong technical abilities and a passion for problem solving. Technical Designers are a vital connection between Design and Engineering, able to communicate and engage with both disciplines “in their language.”
A Technical Designer should have experience with a wide variety of scripting languages and game engines and should be comfortable learning “on the fly.” Technical Designers should be able to absorb a large scripting base quickly and use that knowledge to inform and empower other designers.
If that sounds like you, or if your strength is on the technical side and you’re looking to make a shift from Engineering to Design we want to hear from you!
What you’ll be doing…
- Work closely with designers, engineers, and other content creators to craft compelling gameplay systems
- Tackle complicated problems creatively while considering design needs versus production realities
- Drive gameplay systems from paper concepts all the way to shippable products
- Rapidly prototype and iterate on experimental gameplay in order to “find the fun”
- Act autonomously to track down issues or improvement areas and implement novel solutions
- Help develop and maintain a robust set of scripting solutions that empower content designers
To succeed you must have…
- 3+ years game industry experience
- Proven understanding of gameplay mechanics and the game design process
- Passion for crafting systems, mechanics, and meta-game loops
- Excellent written, verbal, and electronic communication skills
We’d love it if you also have…
- A technical degree or work experience in a technical design role
- Experience with the Call of Duty engine (Radiant) or scripting language (GSC)
- Ability to read and understand C++
- Experience developing a networked multiplayer game
- Experience scripting complex animated sequences
We love hearing from anyone who is enthusiastic about changing the games industry. Not sure you meet all qualifications? Let us decide! Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend to not apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do! At Activision Blizzard, we are committed to crafting a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply.
High Moon Studios
Founded in 2002, High Moon Studios is an award-winning studio developing for the Call of Duty® franchise, with past development on over 15 titles including Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War and Warzone, Bungie’s Destiny 2: Forsaken, and Transformers: Fall of Cybertron. We employ more than 170 people in Carlsbad, CA, a seaside city in San Diego County.
Our pride is our people and the experiences we have optimally built for our fans. High Moon's talent is comprised of committed entertainment and technology professionals responsible for some of the most successful games ever made. We have award-winning developers, published artists and specialists recognized as among the best in their fields. Our studio has a history of using innovative techniques crafted to boost efficiency and product quality, which in turn improves our studio's quality of life.
High Moon Studios is wholly owned by Activision. To learn more about our studio, please visit us at www.highmoonstudios.com.
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty®, World of Warcraft®, Overwatch®, Diablo®, Candy Crush™ and Bubble Witch™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet.
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered.
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
High Moon Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered! Subject to eligibility requirements, the Company offers comprehensive benefits including:
- Medical, dental, vision, health savings account or health reimbursement account, healthcare spending accounts, dependent care spending accounts, life and AD&D insurance, disability insurance;
- 401(k) with Company match, tuition reimbursement, charitable donation matching;
- Paid holidays and vacation, paid sick time, floating holidays, compassion and bereavement leaves, parental leave;
- Mental health & wellbeing programs, fitness programs, free and discounted games, and a variety of other voluntary benefit programs like supplemental life & disability, legal service, ID protection, rental insurance, and others;
- If the Company requires that you move geographic locations for the job, then you may also be eligible for relocation assistance.
Eligibility to participate in these benefits may vary for part time and temporary full-time employees and interns with the Company. You can learn more by visiting https://www.benefitsforeveryworld.com/.In the U.S., the standard base pay range for this role is $29.81 - $55.14 Hourly. These values reflect the expected base pay range of new hires across all U.S. locations. Ultimately, your specific range and offer will be based on several factors, including relevant experience, performance, and work location. Your Talent Professional can share this role’s range details for your local geography during the hiring process. In addition to a competitive base pay, employees in this role may be eligible for incentive compensation. Incentive compensation is not guaranteed.