Technical Director, Level Design
About the Role
As a TD, LD in Ubisoft Shanghai, you’re the link between a design vision and its technical implementation. As a lead but also an implementor, with understanding of both tech and design, you help steer the game and also the devs to success. You are aslo the design lead who guides and provides (often multidisciplinary) solutions when anticipated and unforeseen challenges raise in game development. With knowledge, helpfulness and adapatibilty, you are the go to person for guidance and valuable resources. Team members look to you for information and direction, sometimes you need to make the final call or a hard dicision.
What you will do
- Collaborate with other core team members to develop the overall vision and determine technical feasibility of your area of ownership (e.g. AI, mission, world, cinematics, etc.).
- Prepare post-mortems and recommend ways to evolve how we create and integrate data.
- Identify and analyze risks (engine, data, features, etc.), establish and improve workflows and data structures to standardize work methods and ensure the validity and integrity of the data.
- Assess existing tools and occasionally design custom ones to support design pipelines
- Maintain technical documentation (e.g. procedures, how-to guides, etc.) and train team members on tools and techniques, aslo raise awareness of new processes.
- Assist content creators with their technical needs and bridge communication between design and programming.
- Prototype possible new gameplay features, own technical complex features
- Review and give your input on integrated work and find solutions to fix bugs.
- Drive the optimization and debugging to fix the issues raised
- Anticipate technological advancements and stay up to date on market trends to define our best practices,also share them with our studios.
- Have shipped at least one AAA title with full development cycle as a production or management role
- Proven experience on a minimum of 3 projects in production (or other related experiences)
- In-depth knowledge of game engines (e.g., Unity or Unreal) & their limitations
- An understanding of replication and scripting in a networked multiplayer environment.
- Solid prototype skills, able to identify issues and improvements for quick iteration
- Familiarity with bug tracking software (e.g., Jira), version control systems (e.g. Perforce), and basic programming
- A highly innovative, collaborative, empathetic, and solution-oriented spirit, unbound by the gravity of past success
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, mentorship, and presentation skills, willingness to be who you needed when you were younger
- Attention to detail, curiosity, resourcefulness, and plenty of flexibility while keeping principles intact and making rational trade-offs
- Promote and believe in transparency, able to give and take critical feedbacks
Nice to Have
- Better with Game/Level Design or Computer Science (or related trainings) background
- Proven experience as a Level Designer (or equivalent)
- Experience as a lead or management role
- Experience with multiple scripting languages, visual and text based, knowledge with C++ is a plus
Benefits and Perks from Ubisoft Shanghai:
- Future of Work framework: flexible hours and up to 8 days of working remotely per calendar month
- A minimum of 15 days paid annual leave
- Monthly meal and snack allowance
- Premium medical insurance plan and free annual health check
- Game Package: free access to Ubisoft games on PC plus a rich and expanding library of games & books
- Employee Assistance Program: wellbeing solutions, emotional support, and life coaching
- 10+ staff clubs featuring weekly sports and gaming activities and events
Ubisoft CSR commitment
Making a long-lasting positive impact for our players, our teams, our partners and our planet.
In Ubisoft, we are working to enrich players’ lives through unique and memorable gaming experiences and by improving the positive impacts of our games. To get there, we are creating a safer, more inclusive work environment, we are giving back to the communities where Ubisoft operates by working with local non-profit partners and by working to reduce the environmental impact of our business.
To learn more about Ubisoft’s Environmental Commitment
Play Green: Ubisoft’s Commitment to Global Carbon Neutrality