Technical Graphic Director (Worlds) – Anvil
As a Technical Art Director at Ubi MTL, you will have the highest-level understanding of what our tech can do, can’t do, yet could do, plus visibility on the project as a whole. You’ll be responsible for providing expert insight, tools, and support to steer a game’s world design – and its creators – towards success.
Working with other directors early on, you discuss intentions before making any commitments. You take into account not only measurable factors such as rendering, performance, and memory, but also intangible ones like timing and momentum. Seeing the facts realistically, you establish an actionable plan to bridge the gap between coming up with ideas and putting them into practice.
Though every day of development brings its own mix of both expected and unforeseen challenges, you never lose sight of the big picture. As a strategic thinker and tactical planner, you balance short-term priorities with long-term goals, while consistently considering the future impacts of your choices.
Anvil is a Game Engine developed internally at Ubisoft and used worldwide to power the greatest AAA games. Originally developed alongside the release of the original Assassin’s Creed in 2007 to build one dynamic open world games it has since evolved to support a huge variety of game genres and platforms. Play the most tactical 5vs5 FPS in Rainbow 6 Siege on your PC or embark on a mystical adventure in the world of Immortals: Fenyx Rising on the latest generation consoles. There is no limit with Anvil.
In the Anvil team we strongly believe in empowering our developers and enabling them to build the most innovative, amazing-looking and enriching game experiences. If you join us you will be working in close collaboration with multiple production teams and help us create a cutting-edge production pipeline featuring powerful core services and easy-to-use tools. Fancy joining the Anvil community?
What you’ll do
- Assist Anvil productions for the duration of each cycle by making sure they all have solid foundations.
- Collaborate with other core team members to develop the overall vision & determine technical feasibility.
- Ensure a technology watch to keep abreast of any innovation in your speciality.
- Work with other managers to define the long term global and product vision for World Design and check technical feasibility.
- Identify and analyze risks (engine, data, features, etc.).
- Assess existing tools + occasionally design custom ones to support art pipelines and workflows & sustain the vision.
- Meet with technical artists and assistant technical art directors to share information and updates, enforce standards, set benchmarks, give feedback, etc.
- Resolve specific, complex, escalated issues & approve technical specifications.
- Prepare post-mortems + recommend ways to evolve how we create and integrate graphic data.
- Anticipate technological advancements and stay up to date on market trends to define our best practices + share them with our studios and the industry.
What you bring
- Art, technical art, or programming experience, or other related experience + leadership experience
- In-depth knowledge of World Design techniques
- Familiarity with bug tracking software (e.g., Jira) and version management systems (e.g., Perforce)
- A highly innovative, collaborative, empathetic, and solution-oriented spirit
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, mentorship, and presentation skills
- Critical thinking, time management, and organizational capabilities
- Attention to detail, curiosity, resourcefulness, and plenty of flexibility
What to send our way
- Your CV highlighting your education, experience, skills, and games shipped
- Samples of your work or any supporting documentation you find relevant (pictures or a link to your online portfolio)
Real live people from our team will review your application. In this case, it’s our talent acquisition specialists Yara & Nicole. As they learn more about you through your profile, get to know them through the videos below
Ubisoft’s 20,000 team members, working across more than 30 countries around the world, are bound by a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their commitment and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come.
Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves.
When you join Ubi MTL, you’ll discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection. We offer a collaborative space that provides career advancement, a host of learning opportunities, and meaningful benefits centred on well-being.
If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting edge technologies and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey and help us create the unknown.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.