Technical Product Manager III (Sport IO) - Esports Technology, Core Products
The last 12 months have been amazing for esports at Riot. We held our most-watched League of Legends Worlds Championship, and we ran our first global tournaments for VALORANT, Wild Rift, and Legends of Runeterra. On the back of that success, and in our ever-growing dedication to our mission to be the most player focused company in the world, we are doubling down on our investment in esports. We are doing this through our high-priority focus on Unleashing Fandom, Reinventing the Watch Experience, and through investing in industry-leading innovations like Project Stryker.
The Sport IO team’s mission is to elevate esports competition and operations at all levels of our sports. We do this by focusing on innovating in spaces like broadcast storytelling, training and performance tools, finding and supporting future stars, as well as delivering tools and technology for esports players, teams, and tournaments. We have a mix of user facing experiences through our web properties lolesports.com and valorantesports.com and back-end tools which are used by the broadcast producers and tournament operators.
As the Technical Product Manager II for the Sport IO - Core Products team you will lead creating/maintaining products while communicating with multiple stakeholders across the Riot Esports ecosystem. Your responsibilities include but are not limited to gathering requirements, identifying improvements, and creating backlogs. You will be collaborating with other Producers in Eports to create unique products for all Riot Esports titles. You will be responsible for ensuring there is shared understanding of product vision, delivery schedule, and quality bar. You will also be responsible for having appropriate milestone checkpoints and communicating accurate status to stakeholders and executives. This role relies on proactive communication and ability to do planned tradeoffs.
You will own our esports management platform and data structures used in LoL Esports and Valorant Esports. The platform is used for all operations including but not limited to adding leagues, teams, players, standings, live streaming links etc. This platform is used by all operators across the globe and will also be used by upcoming esports titles. You will also be responsible with our web properties (lolesports.com and valesports.com). These websites are high traffic, truly global websites. You will be working with a dedicated engineering team but you will also be working with external development teams to build various products that will be used by millions of fans across the globe.
This role reports to the Director of Technical Product Management for Riot Esports Tech R&D and can be based out of either the Bellevue, WA or Los Angeles, CA office.
- Collaborate with other producers in Sport IO and other Esports teams to collectively guide and lead the teams to execute against the feature roadmap to high quality and on time
- Own our user facing web properties lolesports.com and valorantesports.com and triage requests from other teams
- Define product vision with the help of initiative leadership. Make sure team vision is aligned with bigger Riot Esports direction
- Communicate our product vision to internal and external developers, make sure they are developing to our quality standards
- Work closely with the design and software engineering teams to ideate, prototype, and distill the product strategy into a set of feature areas that the team will focus on
- Work with engineering leadership to make sure we invest sustainability and scalability
- Managing stakeholder expectations through interpreting and communicating stages to invested audiences
- 5+ years experience launching large scale features, business critical efforts or cross-team projects on schedule and as part of a multi-phase launch plan
- Experience working in products that are used by multiple teams within organizations
- Experience owning multiple products and making conscious tradeoffs
- Experience contributing to engineering discussions around technology decisions and strategy related to a product
- Ample experience scheduling and tracking development as well as Identifying and mitigating risks associated with key-milestones both for internal teams and external teams
- Experience defining and leading product strategy and direction for technical products (Tools, APIs, Engines)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience with strong technical knowledge and problem-solving skills
- Experience working with external development teams
- Experience with product management tools such as Miro, Jira, Trello, and LucidChart
- Experience with product management methodologies such as Scrum, Kanban, PMF, Jobs-to-be-Done, and Lean
- Comfort in failing fast and learning to make things better!
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about players' experiences, this could be your role!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
(Bellevue only) Base salary range between $170,000 USD - $238,000 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.