Technical Product Manager III (Sport IO) - Esports Technology, New Tournament Systems
The last 12 months have been amazing for esports at Riot. We held our most-watched League of Legends Worlds Championship, and we ran our first global tournaments for VALORANT, Wild Rift, and Legends of Runeterra. On the back of that success, and in our ever-growing dedication to our mission to be the most player focused company in the world, we are doubling down on our investment in esports. We are doing this through our high-priority focus on Unleashing Fandom, Reinventing the Watch Experience, and through investing in industry-leading innovations like Project Stryker.
The Sport IO team’s mission is to elevate esports competition and operations at all levels of our sports. We do this by focusing on innovating in spaces like broadcast storytelling, training and performance tools, finding and supporting future stars, as well as delivering tools and technology for esports players, teams, and tournaments. We have a mix of user facing experiences through our web properties lolesports.com and valorantesports.com and back-end tools which are used by the broadcast producers and tournament operators.
In this role as the Senior Technical Product Manager you will be focused on building out new tournament management capabilities for our new esports, including Teamfight Tactics. You will be working directly with the game teams and other Product Managers, UX Designers and Software Engineers to bring new player and pro esports experiences to market. You will also work together with our product business senior leaders to ensure what we are building achieves the business and strategy objectives that we have set.
This role reports to the Director of Technical Product Management for Riot Esports Tech R&D.
- Partner with the various business owners across the esports division and game teams to understand their goals, objectives and priorities, and translate that into a product development strategy
- Partnering with engineering, design, and production on a product execution plan with a shared responsibility for product outcomes, results, and product health
- Develop a deep understanding of customer motivations, trends and needs in the esports domain as well as the esports foundational technology so you can incorporate that into long term product design thinking
- Work closely with the design and software engineering teams to ideate, prototype, and distill the product strategy into a set of feature areas
- Work with your team to produce detailed feature designs for experiences that we build and ultimately deliver to fans, pros, and tournament organizers
- Partner with product management and engineering from our central tech team and game teams to align on the product direction and technical implementation strategy (e.g. who builds what)
- 7+ years of experience as a product manager or business leader driving strategy for large scale software products
- 7+ years experience delivering multiple large scale, long duration global projects spanning multiple business units or companies
- Knowledge and applied experience with agile methodologies and agile teams
- Strong alignment to servant leadership principles and the value and importance of ensuring psychological safety, healthy feedback culture and conflict management within and between teams
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience with strong technical knowledge and problem-solving skills
- Experience working in med-large size organizations where collaboration across organizational boundaries is critical to success
- Experience leading product management and direction with external development teams
- Experience leading product strategy and direction for technical products (tools, APIs, Engines)
- Passion for esports and Riot’s games
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about players' experiences, this could be your role!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
(Los Angeles only) Base salary range between $170,000 USD - $238,000 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.