Technical Writer - Sledgehammer Games
Job Title:Technical Writer - Sledgehammer Games
Located in the San Francisco Bay Area and Melbourne, Australia – we’re the videogame development team behind Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare 3, Call of Duty®: Advanced Warfare and Call of Duty®: WWII. Since our founding in
2009, our greatest passion has been making AAA games. The strength of our team makes us not only excellent at what we do, but also how we do it. We firmly believe in supporting our talented employees to be the best they can be. Here at Sledgehammer Games, everyone is a game maker.
As we head into decade II of development, we’re focused on constantly evolving, innovating and taking risks – which are some of the most rewarding aspects of game development. With world-class audio, design, engineering and art teams, we’ve been able to achieve some of the highest-quality game execution of any studio in the industry. We love what we do and work hard to make sure that each new game we make is even better than the last. Creativity is key, and we’re looking for talented game developers for our exciting next project.
Sledgehammer Games is wholly owned by Activision. To learn more about our studio, please visit us at www.sledgehammergames.com or search for Sledgehammer Games on your favorite social media platform. Want to hear what it’s like at the studio directly from current employees? Check out our #LifeatSHG developer profiles: https://youtu.be/12DUBszg-w4
As a Technical Writer, you will drive the organization and maintenance our internal Confluence pages, share information specifically in engineering. We develop a lot of engineering systems with other studios and often need documentations and release notes to describe these systems to other and often less technical developers. Helping to get those out and facilitate communication internally and externally so developers can better understand those changes.
Priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Interview and work with developers to create consistently clear and digestible documentation for technically complex processes.
- Work with developers across multiple disciplines who are subject matter experts in a variety of subjects.
- Create tutorials and walkthroughs related to using our engine, tools, and development processes.
- Documentation audience varies in their technical knowledge.
- A portfolio of writing samples demonstrating ability to effectively communicate technical concepts to lay audiences.
- Experience using knowledge sharing tools and wikis (Confluence preferred).
- Associate degree in design, English, technical communications, or a related field from an accredited college or university.
- Equivalent experience with combined education can be substituted for the education requirements.
- Fluency using the Microsoft suite of tools.
- Experience with Photoshop/Illustrator.
- Experience researching and writing technical documentation.
- Experience working in a large, creative team (software development preferred).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Library Science, Information Science, Computer Science, or a related field.
- Web, video game development, or technology industry experience preferred
- Basic programming skills.
- An understanding of digital editing.
- Familiarity with the programming languages we use: C++, C#, Lua, Python
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty®, World of Warcraft®, Overwatch®, Diablo®, Candy Crush™ and Bubble Witch™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered!
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Sledgehammer Games is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.