As a UI Artist at Ubi MTL, you’ll build the visuals that smoothly guide players as they navigate a game, breaking down any barriers that stand between them.
Sure, your title may have “artist” in it, but you're a game developer above all. With a player-focused mindset, you make use of space and choose the best design elements like colour, typography, and animation to communicate clear, consistent, key content at the right place at the right time. Thanks to your work, gameplay experiences can remain immersive – and not abruptly interrupted by questions like, “What am I supposed to be doing again?”
What you’ll do
- Partner with the brand and art directors to grasp the game’s visual identity, art direction, and brand guidelines.
- Follow design documentation to translate high-level gameplay ideas into functional UI designs.
- Work (very) closely with UX designers to visually communicate the path they’ve laid out.
- Create interface assets (menus, animation, HUD, icons, buttons, world maps, etc.) + build wireframes and mockups.
- Find balance between artistic aspects and technical constraints.
- Develop and refine your work based on feedback from collaborative teams (debug and optimize).
- Document and share your UI design workflow and best practices.
- Collaborate with the localization team to adapt menus into different languages.
What you bring
- A college diploma in Digital Media, Computation Arts, Graphic Design, or equivalent (undergraduate degree an asset)
- At least 3 years of experience in visual design or related experience
- Knowledge of design tools (Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects), game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal), game limitations, and prototyping tools *
- Understanding of usability principals & information architecture
- A highly creative, collaborative, and innovative spirit
- Excellent problem-solving, communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Motivation to reach out for feedback and adapt to it
- A sharp eye for UX design and a passion for visual communication!
*Knowledge of 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max or Maya) + familiarity with scripting language and shader writing = nice to have
What to send our way
- Your CV highlighting your education, experience, and skills
- A portfolio of your best work, showcasing your UI skills (attach images or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio)
A real live person will review your application. In this case, it’s our talent acquisition specialist Alexis. As he learns more about you through your profile, get to know him through the video below.
Ubisoft’s 20,000 team members, working across more than 30 countries around the world, are bound by a common mission: enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their commitment and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come.
Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves.
When you join Ubi MTL, you discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection. We offer a collaborative space that provides career advancement, a host of learning opportunities, and meaningful benefits centred on well-being.
If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, harnessing cutting-edge technologies, and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join us on our journey and help us create the unknown.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.